CONCLAVE

  • minibookman
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2004
      Hi everybody,
      I've just got home from Conclave, and have to write and congratulate
      Michael on organizing such a wonderful event. It was great to see so
      many of my friends again, and also to welcome newcomers to Conclave,
      and also welcome some new members.
      The auction was great, made a lot of money for the MBS.
      The visit to Bainton's Bindery was so very interesting, the staff
      having given up their Saturday morning especially for us to see them
      at work, and to enable us to see the wonderful books they have there.
      Edward's talk on Saturday afternoon was both entertaining and
      informative, making us think about just what information we need to
      put in our books to enable future cataloguers to do their job more
      efficiently.
      The Banquet was unique - how many other Conclave banquets have been
      held in the room where Gainsborough painted? How many receptions
      have been held in a Roman Bath? (No, we didn't have to wear swimming
      costumes!) The after dinner speaker, Bernard Middleton was very
      entertaining to those who could hear - the acoustics were such that
      some people could not hear very well. It was all rounded off with a
      quick evacuation of the building when the fire alarm went off!
      The bookfair went extremely well, both in visitor numbers and in
      the mundane but essential task of selling books.
      The trip yesterday was extremely interesting, to two quaint English
      villages, and then to the American Museum in Bath - what a place!

      Time to recover now, to see what I bought, catalogue it - and start
      dreaming about next year in New Orleans.

      Well done Michael - you deserve your trip to Prague!
      Best wishes to all my friends who couldn't make it to Conclave this
      year, I hope to see you in New Orleans in 2005.
      Stephen Byrne
    • pianoprint@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 15, 2004
        Anna and I have just returned from Conclave after extending our trip several
        days to visit Normandy and London. Our Thanks and much appreciation to
        Michael Garbett (and helpers) for the superb arrangements and astonishing great
        weather. Couldn't have been nicer. I particularly want to emphasize that our nice
        long visit to the Bayntunis Bindery was a pleasure. The staff interaction
        demonstrating tools and different binding techniques was real "showtime"...and the
        equipment they have somehow makes our little printing setup rather minor.
        Topping it off with the Banquet and talk with Bernhard Middleton was a real class
        act. We enjoyed it all immensely! Philip & Anna Morrison.