Re: [miniaturebooks] The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

  • Paul J. Aarssen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2004
      Hello Susan,

      The "Rubaiyat" of Omar Khayyam is one of the most published miniatures ever,
      from 1862 untill recently.
      The copy you mentioned is published in London (by Anthony Treherne & Co
      as you wrote) in 1903. It was published in a series called The
      Waist-coat-Pocket
      Classics togethet with titles like Sonnets from the Portuguese, Elegy in a
      Country Church-yard etc. As far as I can see from a copy in my own
      collection the
      dimensions are 2 3/4 x 2 1/8 inches (binding). Anthony Treherne has
      published
      a lot of miniature books in a very short periode of time (most between 1902
      and
      1906). All of them are very well printed in a 8-point type and bound in
      cloth
      or leather. The books are not very rare but are of course of interest for a
      collector
      of miniature books.

      Sincerely,

      Paul J. Aarssen