The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2004
      Hello all! I was wondering if anyone had any info about The Rubaiyat
      of Omar Khayyam. My sister has picked one up. It is from 1903 and is
      published by Anthony Treherne and Company. She believes it may even
      be signed by the publisher. And of course it is a miniature. She
      says it's 2 1/2 inches high and 2 inches wide. Can anyone help?

      Sincerely,

      Susan
    • Paul J. Aarssen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2004
        Hello Susan,

        The "Rubaiyat" of Omar Khayyam is one of the most published miniatures ever,
        from 1862 untill recently.
        The copy you mentioned is published in London (by Anthony Treherne & Co
        as you wrote) in 1903. It was published in a series called The
        Waist-coat-Pocket
        Classics togethet with titles like Sonnets from the Portuguese, Elegy in a
        Country Church-yard etc. As far as I can see from a copy in my own
        collection the
        dimensions are 2 3/4 x 2 1/8 inches (binding). Anthony Treherne has
        published
        a lot of miniature books in a very short periode of time (most between 1902
        and
        1906). All of them are very well printed in a 8-point type and bound in
        cloth
        or leather. The books are not very rare but are of course of interest for a
        collector
        of miniature books.

        Sincerely,

        Paul J. Aarssen