My first day of book class...

  • Patrice Baldwin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2004
      Greetings:

      I finally met my bookbinding students yesterday. I have 25 art
      students, boys and girls. The first day was difficult as no supplies
      were delivered, so we had to do with notebook paper and anything we
      could find to make a one-page-book. They got into it and started
      cutting and folding every which way and really were playing.

      Today, the second day, we had a few more tools and paper. They'd all
      gone to a paper store and brought what they could. So I started them
      on a single section book with a hard cover. It's hard to get to each
      of them in order to stop one from doing the wrong thing before I can
      tell them how. I can't just announce to the class what to do, as I
      can't speak Chinese, and most of them don't understand English very
      well. I have a darling girl, Betty is her English name, (it used to
      be Bubbles, but someone explained to her what that type of name
      implied, so she changed it) who translates everything I say, but in
      the hubub of a class, it's hard to get the message out. So I go
      around and see if everyone is keeping up. When we got to the hard
      covers, we had to put the large pieces of book board (the only thing
      we now have a lot of) on the floor to cut covers. We had three huge
      pieces of board all over the floor with 4 or 5 students trying to cut
      their boards... like bees around 3 hives.

      By hook or by crook, they all finished their books and were really
      proud of themselves. I impressed upon the "monitor" that if we'd had
      proper paper, we wouldn't have wrinkles and if everyone had had their
      own jar of glue, it would have been much easier and efficient. I
      think he got the message. All in all, it was great fun, and I'm
      looking forward to Thursday to see how many more supplies will
      appear. Hope someone brings large paper, as I'm planning to do
      accordions. Oh well, we'll just glue one to another endlessly if not.

      Later,

      Patrice
    • Angelika Jaeck
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17, 2004
        Hi Pat!

        thank you for your interesting mails about your classes! It
        sounds like you and the students are having fun.
        How old are your students?

        Angelika