Greetings from China...

  • Patrice Baldwin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2004
      Hi y'all:

      It's a cold but sunny day here. My silk long-johns have been useful.
      Baoding is a pretty big city... busy with walkers, bike riders,
      pedicabs and wild drivers. The campus of Hebei University is very
      large and there is a new campus across town as well. Students have
      started classes this week, but mine won't begin until next Monday.

      I'm going with a friend to Anchin this weekend to teach English to
      high schoolers. Should be fun. I've had some wonderful food. Not sure
      what some of it is, but it tasted good, so I didn't ask. I've
      probably eaten some of the strangest vegetables, but it's better to
      ask AFTER eating.

      Teachers here are treated very politely and offered all kinds of
      help. One just has to know how to ask for it!

      This is the first time bookbinding has been offered at this
      University, and the head of the art department has no idea what some
      of the tools and materials are. I had to show him my bone folder and
      tell him what it was for. I also had to draw a picture of a sewing
      stand and a nipping press so he could have some made. I've yet to see
      what they came out looking like!

      I'll keep you posted when my book classes begin next week.

      Cheers,

      Patrice