Talks

  • minibookman
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2003
      Hi everybody, I just thought I would add my ideas about talking to
      groups. I wrote about my talks in the last MBS Newsletter, but will
      expand a little here.
      Since I gave my first talk - rather tentatively I must say - I have
      found that there has been a regular flow of requests from other
      groups to visit them.

      Firstly I tell my audience that questions are welcome at any stage
      of my talk. Then I discuss the definition of a miniature book - i.e.
      the size. I explain the different sizes, from 4" down to the
      micro mini books.
      I show examples of each one so that the audience can get some idea
      of comparative size.
      Next I explain how I became interested in miniature books - and how
      I go about collecting them, and talk about different collecting
      criteria.
      Next follows a brief history. I found that the Doris Welsh book 'The
      History of Miniature Books' (available from John Mayo) offers a
      suitable framework and excellent background, and refer to Bondy and
      to Spielmann and, of course, Bradbury.
      All the time I try to show examples of what I am talking about, as
      that helps people understand.

      I then go on to tell how I design and make my books, showing
      examples of books at each stage, and finally
      inviting a member of the audience to come to the front and make a
      simple single section book whilst I talk them through it and show
      the rest of the audience what is going on.
      The audience then has the opportunity to examine some of my
      collection.
      The whole thing is done in as light-hearted manner as possible - I
      soon learnt to watch for signs that I was getting too dull!
      I don't know if this will be of any use, but it may be the start for
      you. You will no doubt find that once you have given one talk
      somebody will pass your name to somebody else and then you will get
      more and more invitations.
      The good thing I have found is that the kind of group I speak to
      tend to book their speakers up to a year in advance (I already have
      some for November 2004) so it is possible to moderate the regularity
      of speaking.

      Do give it a try - you'll be amazed at the interest and positive
      response from all kinds of people who, up until you talk to them,
      would think of miniature books as mere novelties.

      Let's keep the discussion going - it would be good to hear from
      somebody who has given their first talk.

      Good wishes to all my friends in MBS.
      Stephen Byrne
    • Jon Mayo
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2003
        Well done, Stephen.

        Robert Bradbury recently started a talk by holding one of the little
        Waldemann's "Lord's Prayer" between two fingers while he
        introduced the subject of miniature books in general.

        With just a minimum of showmanship, it's relatively easy to hold an
        audience with such a fascinating subject as very tiny books.

        Jon