Re: [miniaturebooks] St. Johnsbury Academy

  • Jon Mayo
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15, 2003
      Angelika, I'll share this with the group as it may help someone else.

      I found that the students were so fascinated with the concept of miniature
      books, and that fact that they had never heard of them, probably was a
      tremendous help in getting their attention right at the start.

      I used the idea that miniature books have existed since the early days of
      movable type--probably mankind's fascination with small things. And I
      explained that miniature books played only a tiny part of the whole, large
      picture of book collecting. I mentioned a few ways in which people collect--

      first editions, for instance--and when I had set the stage, so to speak, by
      putting
      miniature books into perspective, the kids were anxious to ask questions.

      By the way, I told them right at the start that I welcomed questions--all
      they had to do was raise their hand. And they asked a LOT of questions.

      If there is anything else I can suggest, please let me know.

      Jon