Re: [miniaturebooks] Digest Number 455

  • Jon Mayo
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2003
      Phil and all...

      Yes, I took along lots of samples. I have a half dozen or so 19th century books
      which are
      in rough condition--fine for folks to handle. A group of Black CAt Press and
      Ward Schori
      duplicates--nice literary subjects, and inexpensive, wonderful for "hands on".
      Several of
      Pat Baldwin's Pequeno Press titles--the students were especially intrigued by
      these.
      Mark Twain's "War Prayer", which I did as a reading (with permission, of course).

      Some samples of Eastern European miniatures, assorted keepsakes, some of Bob
      Massmann's intriguing little books, a half dozen fine leather bindings, and so
      on.
      Probably 40 books, all
      of which were passed around at the tables where the students were sitting. The
      biggest
      hit was the "Lord's Prayer on a Piece of Type". No one really believed me at
      first, until
      I passed around a magnifying glass. What a reaction. "I can SEE it!!". "WOW".
      Real enthusiasm. And I brought along my 3 x 5 Kelsey press and a handful of
      type.
      Most of the group had never seen a printing press--of any size.

      One interesting note that surprised the kids was the fact that when they use a
      word
      processing program and click on those little numbers at the top of the screen to
      change
      "the size of the letters", they are actually working with point sizes.

      There was plenty to talk about; I got thank you notes from several teachers, and
      an
      invitation to return in the spring, to meet a different group of students.

      No slides--just the little books.
      Great fun.

      Best wishes to all,
      Jon