Re: [miniaturebooks] Digest Number 455

  • pianoprint@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2003
      Angelika... Exactly right! I wonder how many others thought the same thing?
      A number of questions come to mind, Jon. Particularly , how did you simplify
      the subject so those with no background could understand and stay interested.
      Did you show samples that could be handled? And did you use slides or other
      visuals? (I can see how guidance from others who've done talks would be a big
      timesaver...perhaps a continuing column in the Newsletter???) Phil Morrison
      Shoestring Press.
    • Jon Mayo
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2003
        Phil and all...

        Yes, I took along lots of samples. I have a half dozen or so 19th century books
        which are
        in rough condition--fine for folks to handle. A group of Black CAt Press and
        Ward Schori
        duplicates--nice literary subjects, and inexpensive, wonderful for "hands on".
        Several of
        Pat Baldwin's Pequeno Press titles--the students were especially intrigued by
        these.
        Mark Twain's "War Prayer", which I did as a reading (with permission, of course).

        Some samples of Eastern European miniatures, assorted keepsakes, some of Bob
        Massmann's intriguing little books, a half dozen fine leather bindings, and so
        on.
        Probably 40 books, all
        of which were passed around at the tables where the students were sitting. The
        biggest
        hit was the "Lord's Prayer on a Piece of Type". No one really believed me at
        first, until
        I passed around a magnifying glass. What a reaction. "I can SEE it!!". "WOW".
        Real enthusiasm. And I brought along my 3 x 5 Kelsey press and a handful of
        type.
        Most of the group had never seen a printing press--of any size.

        One interesting note that surprised the kids was the fact that when they use a
        word
        processing program and click on those little numbers at the top of the screen to
        change
        "the size of the letters", they are actually working with point sizes.

        There was plenty to talk about; I got thank you notes from several teachers, and
        an
        invitation to return in the spring, to meet a different group of students.

        No slides--just the little books.
        Great fun.

        Best wishes to all,
        Jon