Re: [miniaturebooks] St. Johnsbury Academy

  • Angelika Jaeck
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2003
      Jon, that was an interesting account about your workshop.
      I am always amazed that there are people don't know anything
      about miniature books!

      I would be interested in giving a talk about miniature books but
      don't know where to start. I know a lot about them of course,
      since I've been collectiong for about 20 years and write many
      articles.
      I just don't know how to start telling people who know nothing
      about them.
      Maybe you, or someone else who gives talks, can give me a few
      hints to get started? I am sure some other people on this list
      would also be interested.

      Best wishes,
      Angelika
    • Jon Mayo
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2003
        Angelika, I'll share this with the group as it may help someone else.

        I found that the students were so fascinated with the concept of miniature
        books, and that fact that they had never heard of them, probably was a
        tremendous help in getting their attention right at the start.

        I used the idea that miniature books have existed since the early days of
        movable type--probably mankind's fascination with small things. And I
        explained that miniature books played only a tiny part of the whole, large
        picture of book collecting. I mentioned a few ways in which people collect--

        first editions, for instance--and when I had set the stage, so to speak, by
        putting
        miniature books into perspective, the kids were anxious to ask questions.

        By the way, I told them right at the start that I welcomed questions--all
        they had to do was raise their hand. And they asked a LOT of questions.

        If there is anything else I can suggest, please let me know.

        Jon