St. Johnsbury Academy

  • Jon Mayo
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2003
      St. Johnsbury Academy is a couple of hours drive from my home; I was
      invited to
      visit the school and do a couple of workshops about miniature books.
      The Academy
      is a rather prestigious private school which has about 900 students,
      many from
      outside the United States.

      Not too surprisingly, the students knew nothing about miniature books
      except that
      a couple of them had seen displays of the Running Press books near a
      checkout
      counter at a Barnes & Noble store.

      I had a marvelous time, showed them old books, new books, and in
      particular had
      a very nice experience showing them some of the marvelous little
      structure books of
      folks like Pat Baldwin, Peter & Donna Thomas, and Ed Hutchins. I also
      took along
      my old Kelsey 3 x 5 press and some type, which opened up much
      discussion.
      And my "Lord's Prayer on a Piece of Type" was the show stopper.

      Workshops like this, I think, can do a lot to promote our very special
      hobby, and
      may result in our securing new members--if not immediately, perhaps
      "down the
      road a ways".

      If you have a chance to show off your books to an interested group,
      young or
      old, I urge you to take advantage of the opportunity. I know that here
      in Vermont
      there are about thirty talented, interested high school juniors and
      seniors who now
      know that there is such a thing as a miniature book--and they are going
      to tell their
      friends, and their families.

      One Japanese student took out his wallet and bought a book from me right
      there,
      on the spot.

      Just some food for thought........

      Jon
    • Angelika Jaeck
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2003
        Jon, that was an interesting account about your workshop.
        I am always amazed that there are people don't know anything
        about miniature books!

        I would be interested in giving a talk about miniature books but
        don't know where to start. I know a lot about them of course,
        since I've been collectiong for about 20 years and write many
        articles.
        I just don't know how to start telling people who know nothing
        about them.
        Maybe you, or someone else who gives talks, can give me a few
        hints to get started? I am sure some other people on this list
        would also be interested.

        Best wishes,
        Angelika
      • Jon Mayo
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 15, 2003
          Angelika, I'll share this with the group as it may help someone else.

          I found that the students were so fascinated with the concept of miniature
          books, and that fact that they had never heard of them, probably was a
          tremendous help in getting their attention right at the start.

          I used the idea that miniature books have existed since the early days of
          movable type--probably mankind's fascination with small things. And I
          explained that miniature books played only a tiny part of the whole, large
          picture of book collecting. I mentioned a few ways in which people collect--

          first editions, for instance--and when I had set the stage, so to speak, by
          putting
          miniature books into perspective, the kids were anxious to ask questions.

          By the way, I told them right at the start that I welcomed questions--all
          they had to do was raise their hand. And they asked a LOT of questions.

          If there is anything else I can suggest, please let me know.

          Jon