21st MBS Grand Conclave

  • barbarawilliamson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2003
      The 21st MBS Conclave in Toronto, Canada was a great success. Paul
      and Mary Devenyi and Margaret Challenger provided a wonderful venue. We
      all had fun, met new friends, learned more about miniature books, got
      great new ideas, bought lots of mini books and enjoyed the lovely city of
      Toronto.

      For me, the most fun was talking to members of the public that
      wandered into the Book Fair on Sunday afternoon. The wonder and
      amazement on the face of a person who sees a miniature book for the first
      time - is priceless. We of course, strongly encouraged membership in the
      Miniature Book Society.

      I also enjoyed seeing 23-year-old Robert Wu and his stunning little
      books. Robert is a newcomer to MBS but take note everyone - this young
      man is an amazing bookbinder and a Renaissance man even at so young an
      age.

      The highlight of my trip was meeting and talking to Glen Dawson.
      Glen gave me one of his books. In return, this 91 year old gentleman wants
      help learning new computer software and techniques in order to make more
      miniature books he has in mind. If that doesn't inspire you, nothing will.

      If you haven't joined the Miniature Book Society yet, here's what you
      get for your annual dues:
      - informative newsletters that put you in touch with everything
      associated with miniature books - history, newly published books, workshop
      info, stories about publishers and collectors
      - a full-color catalog of the annual miniature book competition/exhibition
      - invitation to the annual Conclave
      - a yearbook with names, addresses and contact info on members and
      publishers
      - access to the greatest people around the world who are interested in
      miniature books and are the most welcoming people you'll ever meet!

      If interested, go to www.mbs.org and you can find out how to signup
      for membership. We are waiting for you and hope to see you at the 2004
      Grand Conclave in Bath, England over Labor Day weekend.

      Barbara Williamson