Homemade books

  • Frances Armstrong
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2003
      Following up my last letter: another area of interest for me is home-
      made books, particularly those like the Brontes', small and made by
      children. I have some made by my grandfather in 1885, and I know of
      many more, usually made by people who later became famous.

      By "homemade" I mean books that may have been childish copies of real
      books, including conventions like title pages and frontispieces, but
      that were not of professional standard. Many of the modern miniature
      book makers work at home, but "home-made" wouldn't be an appropriate
      word for them-they're works of art. I'm looking for personal stuff.
      Sometimes these were written by groups of children.

      I'd be glad to hear about these, whether they are items in museums or
      just family treasures. I think they are part of the history of books,
      but so ephemeral that they are seldom commented on.

      Frances
      Erin, Ontario, Canada