A Special Book

  • Donn Sanford
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2003

      Found this in another forum to which I subscribe --

      An Isaac Bashevis Singer miniature book edition was recently re-discovered
      in our vaults, and we're making a portion of the edition available for sale
      as a fundraiser for the Jaffe Book Arts Collection at Florida Atlantic

      Besides the Jaffe Book Arts Collection, FAU's Wimberly Library is home to
      many outstanding special collections. Of particular interest is our Isaac
      Bashevis Singer Collection, which includes not only numerous Singer books
      and unpublished holographs, but also his writing desk and a manual Hermes
      2000 Yiddish typewriter. Singer, who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in
      1979, wrote mainly in Yiddish.

      In 1986, the Tamazunchale Press of Newton, Iowa, released "The Manuscript,"
      a limited edition miniature book by this great author. The book is small
      (fifty-two 1.5" by 2.5" pages) yet powerful: it is the story of an author's
      manuscript, left behind in Warsaw during the Nazi occupation, and the woman
      who sneaks behind enemy lines to retrieve it. But love, ultimately, proves
      as destructive as war.

      Some fifteen years ago, FAU Libraries purchased what was left of the edition
      from the press, and a small number of these books were recently found hidden
      away in the Wimberly's Special Collections department. All the books are new
      and uncirculated.

      "The Manuscript" by Isaac Bashevis Singer was printed by Joh. Enschede en
      Zonen in Haarlem, Holland, in an edition of 250 numbered copies. Each book
      was bound in full leather with gilt edges by Reliure d'Art du Centre S.A.
      in Limoges, France, using marbled end papers by Faith Harrison. Each
      handmade copy is $100 US, plus $2 shipping, and is available by sending a
      check, payable to "FAU Foundation", referenced "Jaffe Support Fund", to me
      at the following address:

      John Cutrone
      Jaffe Book Arts Collection
      Florida Atlantic University Libraries
      777 Glades Road
      PO Box 3092
      Boca Raton, FL 33431-0992

      A photograph of the book, along with the full story and an official order
      form, are available on page four of our current newsletter, "Folio: The
      Book Arts News at FAU." Here's a direct link to the .pdf version on our
      website: http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/foliosummer2003.pdf

      Sales benefit the Jaffe Book Arts Support Fund and work towards our goal of
      an educational book arts center here in South Florida.

      Thank you very much,

      John Cutrone
      The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection
      Boca Raton, Florida