Conclave

  • Paul Devenyi
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 7, 2003
      One month to go to Conclave XXI. What three months ago looked like the possibly first cancelled conclave in MBS 20 years history, is turning out to have respectable attendance numbers. It won't be the biggest conclave ever, nor the smallest. I hope it will be remembered as one of the best. Some old regulars abandoned us, but many of them remained faithful and are back. I am also delighted to welcome several members to their first Conclave.

      The MBS Newsletter gave a nice detailed program and I hope you found it useful. Here I want to give a few updates for those of you who registered and have access to this E mail group.

      Metered taxifares just went up 25% in Toronto! For one
      or two people it may be better to take the shuttle
      bus which brings you to the Royal York. If you take an
      airport limousine (they have a separate line from the
      taxis), you can ask about their flat rate to the Royal
      York.

      Please remember that the Royal York deadline for the
      special meeting rates is september 9. There are several
      hotels with lower rates close to the Royal York. Some
      of you already found them. If you need advise, E mail
      me.

      Unfortunately for Americans, the value of the US dollar
      fell substantially against the Canadian $ in the last few
      months. A US dollar bought 1.50 Can$ in the spring.
      As of today, you will get $ 1.30-1.35 for it. You can
      imagine that this caused a lot of budgeting headaches
      for me, because I have to convert your $US dollar
      registration fees to Canadian dollars. Still, I hope to
      come out of this breaking even at least. As for your
      individual purchasing power, you will still find Canadian
      prices reasonable.

      Margaret Challenger's wokshop turned out to be very
      popular. The way she runs her workshop with a lots
      of hands-on experience, she didn't want mor than 20
      people in a group.At 25, we have closed the
      registration. She then agreed to hold a second work-
      shop from 2.30 to 3.30 Saturday. Those who were put
      on "stand-by", are now in the second workshop. I am
      asking those in the first workshop (ie. whose
      registration was originally accepted), if any of you
      would prefer the second time-slot, please let me know.
      This may allow more even distribution. We don't want
      to do the division unilaterally, because some of you
      may have planned your free afternoon based on the
      original schedule.

      Speaking of the free Saturday afternoon, there are
      lots of possibilities in the hotel's vicinity. In one of the
      Newsletters I told you about theatre matinees. There
      is also the CN tower and if the weather is good, the
      harborfront a few minutes away. For art-lovers,there
      is the Art Gallery of Ontario with a decent permanent
      collection, but better still, on october 11-th opens a
      special exhibit on the sculptures of Degas (better
      known as painter, but supposedly equally good
      sculptor.) The gallery is about 20 minutes walk or 3
      subway stops away on the University Line. A couple
      more stops takes you to the Royal Ontario Museum
      which has great permanent material, plus a special
      exhibit on Art Deco. Across from the ROM is a gem of
      a little museum, the Gardiner Ceramics Museum; at
      that time they will have a special show on old French
      ceramics. All museums are closed on Mondays, as in
      most part of the world.

      There are many shopping possibilities near the hotel.
      Keep in mind that Monday is Thanksgiving day in
      Canada and most stores will be closed, except in
      designated tourist areas, such as the Eaton Centre
      and the stores of Niagara on the Lake for those who
      take the tour. So, don't leave your shopping plans
      for Monday.

      By the way, there is one (yes, ONE!) seat left on the
      bus to Niagara. I'll give it to the first person who asks
      for it and follows it up with a payment of $ 44.00 USD.

      Finally, a small venue and time change - if you keep
      track of such details. The Sunday breakfast will be in
      the Imperial Room (not in the Tudor) and it will start
      at 7.30 (not 8) for the benefit of those exhibitors who
      need more time for setup. The exhibit space is
      adjoining. There is an hour lunch break in the Book
      Fair and you can eat elegantly in the hotel or from
      hot dog vendors across the street or anything
      between.

      This is my last "bulletin" before the Conclave. But I
      am happy to answer individual questions.

      See you in Toronto!

      Paul Devenyi

    • minibookman
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 16, 2003
        Unlike most of you I haven't got home from Conclave yet - I'm
        visiting friends in Alberta - but I just have to say how much I
        thoroughly enjoyed the Conclave, so well organised, so nice to meet
        old friends and make new ones.
        The fact that I sold a few books was far less important to me than
        the friendship I encountered.
        Thanks to every one who put so much into making the Conclave such a
        success.
        Stephen Byrne
      • motherg2001
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 14, 2004
          Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
          be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
          about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
          printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
          from
          others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.
        • Kimberly Byerly
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 14, 2004
            We would love to hear more about your broadside project...

            Kind regards,
            Kim & Scott Byerly
            Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
            be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
            about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
            printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
            from
            others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • AJ
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
              Dear miniature book friends!

              I hope all Conclave attendees got home save and sound. It was a
              pleaseure seeing you all again.
              The Conclave was tremendous, many thanks to Karen Nyman for her
              fantastic job on organizing the event.

              I promised serveral people to send them links, info etc. If you
              have't heard from me yet, please remind me. My memory isn't as good
              as it used to be!

              For those I told about the wonderful TED talk I watched on my flight
              from Amsterdam to Detroit, here is the link.

              Graphic designer Chip Kidd talks about the art of designing book covers.
              http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html

              Best wishes from Germany,
              Angelika