RE: [miniaturebooks] Spiral

  • Beth Lee
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2003
      Interesting discussion.

      The image is found here:

      http://www.galleriamia.net/ArtBinding7a.htm

      When I first saw the Dream Spiral, I didn't question whether it was a book,
      because it was labeled as an artist's book. But now I've been thinking
      about it some more.

      One aspect of "bookness" is this, that a book is designed to be experienced
      in the context of time. And further, the artee, so to speak, must interact
      with the book by turning the pages or lifting the flap or rolling the
      scroll, to see the next part of the book. (This might no hold if there was
      a mechanized page-turner that did the work for the viewer.)

      In order to see all of the Dream Spiral, the viewer must move around. But
      that's true of sculptures too.

      So I'm wondering what makes Dream Spiral a book and not a sculpture. Or is
      it a sculpture?

      The poems on the etched copper plates don't, of themselves, make it a book.
      Consider the picture book which has no words. Consider the wall poster
      which has words but is not a book.

      I'm still considering.

      Regards,

      Beth Lee

      Tallahasee, Florida

      e-mail: callibeth@...

      website: mywebpages.comcast.net/callibeth