RE: [miniaturebooks] Spiral

  • Beth Lee
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2003
      Interesting discussion.

      The image is found here:

      http://www.galleriamia.net/ArtBinding7a.htm

      When I first saw the Dream Spiral, I didn't question whether it was a book,
      because it was labeled as an artist's book. But now I've been thinking
      about it some more.

      One aspect of "bookness" is this, that a book is designed to be experienced
      in the context of time. And further, the artee, so to speak, must interact
      with the book by turning the pages or lifting the flap or rolling the
      scroll, to see the next part of the book. (This might no hold if there was
      a mechanized page-turner that did the work for the viewer.)

      In order to see all of the Dream Spiral, the viewer must move around. But
      that's true of sculptures too.

      So I'm wondering what makes Dream Spiral a book and not a sculpture. Or is
      it a sculpture?

      The poems on the etched copper plates don't, of themselves, make it a book.
      Consider the picture book which has no words. Consider the wall poster
      which has words but is not a book.

      I'm still considering.

      Regards,

      Beth Lee

      Tallahasee, Florida

      e-mail: callibeth@...

      website: mywebpages.comcast.net/callibeth

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2003
        In considering an "artist's" book, our expectation is likely to be that any
        conventional use of the word "book" is (because it is "art") unconventional.
        So, in this context, the word begins to describe a category of art and to a
        lesser degree its function as a book. However, I think that it is reasonable
        for the function of the object (book) to be considered even within an
        "Artist's Books" genre or art.
        A book of matches describes a collection of discrete items. Structurally,
        one can even write on each match and push their utility to that of pages...
        specifically because there are many of them.
        Although it may not be a very good protector, the first "page" of a book can
        function as its "cover." So, having a specialized covering is not essential
        to book function. The structural characteristic of grouping content
        sequentially (page function)... revealing of information over time seems
        most essential to book function.
        As others have implied, since a spiral form does not present the content in
        "chunks," it does not have the feel of a book but does have the feel of a
        scroll.
        It also might be reasonable to ask why this art work is in a gallery of
        "Artist's Books." I can easily envision the same work being included in an
        exhibition of paper sculpture.

        -today's spiraling vortex of thought-
        Mel