Re: Greece

  • Glen Dawson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 1999
      Dear Greg:
      This is my first use of MBS onelist.
      I have a little four page leaflet Hickery Dickery Dock printed by William
      Cheney in Greek.If you do not have it, I would be glad to mail it to you
      as a gift. It measures 2 by 1 3/4 inches.
      William Cheney wrote and printed Fleecestreet's Greek in a Nutshell. 57
      pages, marbled boards and leather back strip, 2 3/8 by 1 3/4 inches, 1972.
      I do not have an extra copy. It is an English language treatise on the
      Greek language and has some Greek text.
      Yesterday I celebrated my 87th birthday. I have been retired from Dawson's
      Book Shop for nearly four years. Last year Mary Helen and i sold our home
      of 57 years and moved into Villa Gardens a very pleasant Pasadena
      retirement home. We sold or gave away or threw away many of our possesions
      but Mary Helen brought with us her collection of miniature books.
      I have been trying to help Bob Bradbury in his upcoming publication, a
      bibliography of 20th century American miniature books. It will be and
      interesting and useful reference tool.
      We will not be able to attend the Conclave in Germany, much as we would
      like to, but Msgr. Francis Weber is planning a mini-conclave at San
      Fernando Mission over Labor Day and that is possible for us.
      We once spent several days in Athens and enjoyed it very much.We would be
      interested to hear of any miniature books printed in Greece.
      We have Barbara Raheb to thank for telling us about MBS@onelist.
      Glen Dawson

      Mary Helen & Glen Dawson
      Villa Gardens
      842 East Villa St. Apt 350
      Pasadena, CA 91101-1259
      (626)792-2057
      glen@...
    • POLICHRONIDIS
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 1999
        Dear Glen,
        I am very proud to be the first recipient (within the MBSlist) of message
        from a personality like you, to whom the miniature books world ows so much.

        I wish you HAPPY BIRTHDAY from my hart and may you have the strength
        to help us younger people to continue this elegant and refined exercise of
        mind
        which is miniature books production and collecting.
        I take the liberty to mail this message to all our members (and not to your
        address only), since I believe that all our MBS fellows should know that
        GLEN DAWSON IS 87. CONGRATULATIONS from all of us.

        I would also like to thank you for your generous offer to send me the greek
        leaflet
        printed by William Cheney. I will gladly accept it. By my turn, I will send
        to you and
        Mary Helen a greek children book written by a 13-years old girl, as a
        sample of
        the first attempts of the greek publishers in this field. You will notice
        that technically
        it is far from the quality of the books printed by your private presses (we
        don't
        have private presses in Greece), but still a good start. It will give an
        'exotic fragrance'
        to Mary Helen's collection.

        Regarding William Cheney's Fleecestreet's Greek in a Nutshell, I feel lucky
        posses it (thanks to Jon Mayo). It is one of my favourites books. I must
        obtain
        also its LATIN brother (perhaps Jon still has it available).

        My regards to Mary Hellen.

        Grigoris Polychronidis
        50, Megalou Alexandrou str
        171 22 Nea Smyrni
        Athens - Greece
        loco@...

        ----------

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
          Does anyone know whether there has ever been a miniature book published in
          Greece?

          Thank You.
        • Paul J. Aarssen
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25, 2003
            Dear Neale,

            In our collection we have just one miniature book published in Greece:

            TO LEXIKAKI ZOOES (title in greek, something like Book of Life).
            Athens, Dania, 1995. - 175 p. - 47x65 mm. ISBN 960726313-B.
            Red linen with title in gold.

            Regards,
            Paul and Gerda Aarssen