Re: [miniaturebooks] Spiral

  • Roberta Lavadour
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2003
      I'm very partial to Ed Hutchins' essay, "What is a Book". The Dream Spiral
      could definitely be called a scroll - while the text is on copper plates its
      layout could certainly be linked to the way text was laid out on scrolls
      like the Torah.

      To quote Ed's article, "Some people say that a scroll is a scroll and a book
      is a codex. I think it is more accurate to say that a scroll is a scroll, a
      codex is a codex, and they both have a lot of bookness to them".

      You can read his article in its entirety at:

      http://www.artistbooks.com/editions/wiab.html

      Roberta

      Roberta Lavadour
      Pendleton, Oregon
      paper@...
      http://www.missioncreekpress.com
    • Angelika Jaeck
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2003
        I wouldn't say that a scroll is a book in the sense of the word,
        but a predecessor of books.

        But I would define the spiral book we are talking about as a book
        object.

        Angelika
      • ThomasPETERX@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 14, 2003
          I want to weigh in on this subject. I don't think this is an inside or
          outside of the box issue. The book is a very large and loosely defined medium. There
          are many kinds, sizes and shapes of books, a whole spectrum of things, from
          what artists make to what Readers Digest condenses. I think the valuable
          discussion is about what qualities of a book does a thing have, where on a spectrum
          of bookness does it fit: from the altered book to literary book, from
          letterpress to writing to code, from a shaped leather binding to a metal box, etc.,
          does the thing fit. In pursuing this discussion we will create categories of
          books and a scroll can be seen as a scroll book, a paperback novel as a mass
          produced book, a book written and illustrated by one person as an artist's book,
          etc. My categories need to be better defined and I will appreciate any help in
          this regard.

          Peter Thomas
        • Beth Lee
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2003
            Interesting discussion.

            The image is found here:

            http://www.galleriamia.net/ArtBinding7a.htm

            When I first saw the Dream Spiral, I didn't question whether it was a book,
            because it was labeled as an artist's book. But now I've been thinking
            about it some more.

            One aspect of "bookness" is this, that a book is designed to be experienced
            in the context of time. And further, the artee, so to speak, must interact
            with the book by turning the pages or lifting the flap or rolling the
            scroll, to see the next part of the book. (This might no hold if there was
            a mechanized page-turner that did the work for the viewer.)

            In order to see all of the Dream Spiral, the viewer must move around. But
            that's true of sculptures too.

            So I'm wondering what makes Dream Spiral a book and not a sculpture. Or is
            it a sculpture?

            The poems on the etched copper plates don't, of themselves, make it a book.
            Consider the picture book which has no words. Consider the wall poster
            which has words but is not a book.

            I'm still considering.

            Regards,

            Beth Lee

            Tallahasee, Florida

            e-mail: callibeth@...

            website: mywebpages.comcast.net/callibeth

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14, 2003
              In considering an "artist's" book, our expectation is likely to be that any
              conventional use of the word "book" is (because it is "art") unconventional.
              So, in this context, the word begins to describe a category of art and to a
              lesser degree its function as a book. However, I think that it is reasonable
              for the function of the object (book) to be considered even within an
              "Artist's Books" genre or art.
              A book of matches describes a collection of discrete items. Structurally,
              one can even write on each match and push their utility to that of pages...
              specifically because there are many of them.
              Although it may not be a very good protector, the first "page" of a book can
              function as its "cover." So, having a specialized covering is not essential
              to book function. The structural characteristic of grouping content
              sequentially (page function)... revealing of information over time seems
              most essential to book function.
              As others have implied, since a spiral form does not present the content in
              "chunks," it does not have the feel of a book but does have the feel of a
              scroll.
              It also might be reasonable to ask why this art work is in a gallery of
              "Artist's Books." I can easily envision the same work being included in an
              exhibition of paper sculpture.

              -today's spiraling vortex of thought-
              Mel