Spiral

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10 7:05 PM
      Sorry. I thought I attached Dream Spiral. You can find it at
      www.galleriamia.net. Look under artists books and you'll find it listed last on
      the list.

      Thank You.
    • Donn Sanford
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10 7:35 PM
        I don't consider it to be a book. It lacks two key elements that make a
        book a book --- a cover and pages. And, the fact that it's apparently a
        one-off weakens the argument of it being a "book."

        In my opinion, it's a sculpture.

        Donn

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10 7:54 PM
          I'm very partial to Ed Hutchins' essay, "What is a Book". The Dream Spiral
          could definitely be called a scroll - while the text is on copper plates its
          layout could certainly be linked to the way text was laid out on scrolls
          like the Torah.

          To quote Ed's article, "Some people say that a scroll is a scroll and a book
          is a codex. I think it is more accurate to say that a scroll is a scroll, a
          codex is a codex, and they both have a lot of bookness to them".

          You can read his article in its entirety at:

          http://www.artistbooks.com/editions/wiab.html

          Roberta

          Roberta Lavadour
          Pendleton, Oregon
          paper@...
          http://www.missioncreekpress.com
        • Angelika Jaeck
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12 12:49 PM
            I wouldn't say that a scroll is a book in the sense of the word,
            but a predecessor of books.

            But I would define the spiral book we are talking about as a book
            object.

            Angelika
          • ThomasPETERX@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14 12:56 PM
              I want to weigh in on this subject. I don't think this is an inside or
              outside of the box issue. The book is a very large and loosely defined medium. There
              are many kinds, sizes and shapes of books, a whole spectrum of things, from
              what artists make to what Readers Digest condenses. I think the valuable
              discussion is about what qualities of a book does a thing have, where on a spectrum
              of bookness does it fit: from the altered book to literary book, from
              letterpress to writing to code, from a shaped leather binding to a metal box, etc.,
              does the thing fit. In pursuing this discussion we will create categories of
              books and a scroll can be seen as a scroll book, a paperback novel as a mass
              produced book, a book written and illustrated by one person as an artist's book,
              etc. My categories need to be better defined and I will appreciate any help in
              this regard.

              Peter Thomas
            • Beth Lee
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 14 2:35 PM
                Interesting discussion.

                The image is found here:

                http://www.galleriamia.net/ArtBinding7a.htm

                When I first saw the Dream Spiral, I didn't question whether it was a book,
                because it was labeled as an artist's book. But now I've been thinking
                about it some more.

                One aspect of "bookness" is this, that a book is designed to be experienced
                in the context of time. And further, the artee, so to speak, must interact
                with the book by turning the pages or lifting the flap or rolling the
                scroll, to see the next part of the book. (This might no hold if there was
                a mechanized page-turner that did the work for the viewer.)

                In order to see all of the Dream Spiral, the viewer must move around. But
                that's true of sculptures too.

                So I'm wondering what makes Dream Spiral a book and not a sculpture. Or is
                it a sculpture?

                The poems on the etched copper plates don't, of themselves, make it a book.
                Consider the picture book which has no words. Consider the wall poster
                which has words but is not a book.

                I'm still considering.

                Regards,

                Beth Lee

                Tallahasee, Florida

                e-mail: callibeth@...

                website: mywebpages.comcast.net/callibeth

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 14 6:02 PM
                  In considering an "artist's" book, our expectation is likely to be that any
                  conventional use of the word "book" is (because it is "art") unconventional.
                  So, in this context, the word begins to describe a category of art and to a
                  lesser degree its function as a book. However, I think that it is reasonable
                  for the function of the object (book) to be considered even within an
                  "Artist's Books" genre or art.
                  A book of matches describes a collection of discrete items. Structurally,
                  one can even write on each match and push their utility to that of pages...
                  specifically because there are many of them.
                  Although it may not be a very good protector, the first "page" of a book can
                  function as its "cover." So, having a specialized covering is not essential
                  to book function. The structural characteristic of grouping content
                  sequentially (page function)... revealing of information over time seems
                  most essential to book function.
                  As others have implied, since a spiral form does not present the content in
                  "chunks," it does not have the feel of a book but does have the feel of a
                  scroll.
                  It also might be reasonable to ask why this art work is in a gallery of
                  "Artist's Books." I can easily envision the same work being included in an
                  exhibition of paper sculpture.

                  -today's spiraling vortex of thought-
                  Mel