Greece

  • POLICHRONIDIS
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2 3:10 PM
      Hello from Greece,
      Congratulations to Neale for bringing us closer with the MBS list.
      This is my first meesage to the group.
      Is anybody aware about miniature books in greek language, under 3 inches ?
      All the known so far from Bondy, Spielmann, etc, slightly exceed the limit.
      By the way, if any of you will be in Greece this summer, please do not
      hesitate
      to contact the only MBS member ih this country.
      My regards to all.
      Greg Polychronidis
      tel +30-1-9346994
      loco@...
    • Glen Dawson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4 9:19 AM
        Dear Greg:
        This is my first use of MBS onelist.
        I have a little four page leaflet Hickery Dickery Dock printed by William
        Cheney in Greek.If you do not have it, I would be glad to mail it to you
        as a gift. It measures 2 by 1 3/4 inches.
        William Cheney wrote and printed Fleecestreet's Greek in a Nutshell. 57
        pages, marbled boards and leather back strip, 2 3/8 by 1 3/4 inches, 1972.
        I do not have an extra copy. It is an English language treatise on the
        Greek language and has some Greek text.
        Yesterday I celebrated my 87th birthday. I have been retired from Dawson's
        Book Shop for nearly four years. Last year Mary Helen and i sold our home
        of 57 years and moved into Villa Gardens a very pleasant Pasadena
        retirement home. We sold or gave away or threw away many of our possesions
        but Mary Helen brought with us her collection of miniature books.
        I have been trying to help Bob Bradbury in his upcoming publication, a
        bibliography of 20th century American miniature books. It will be and
        interesting and useful reference tool.
        We will not be able to attend the Conclave in Germany, much as we would
        like to, but Msgr. Francis Weber is planning a mini-conclave at San
        Fernando Mission over Labor Day and that is possible for us.
        We once spent several days in Athens and enjoyed it very much.We would be
        interested to hear of any miniature books printed in Greece.
        We have Barbara Raheb to thank for telling us about MBS@onelist.
        Glen Dawson

        Mary Helen & Glen Dawson
        Villa Gardens
        842 East Villa St. Apt 350
        Pasadena, CA 91101-1259
        (626)792-2057
        glen@...
      • POLICHRONIDIS
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6 3:57 PM
          Dear Glen,
          I am very proud to be the first recipient (within the MBSlist) of message
          from a personality like you, to whom the miniature books world ows so much.

          I wish you HAPPY BIRTHDAY from my hart and may you have the strength
          to help us younger people to continue this elegant and refined exercise of
          mind
          which is miniature books production and collecting.
          I take the liberty to mail this message to all our members (and not to your
          address only), since I believe that all our MBS fellows should know that
          GLEN DAWSON IS 87. CONGRATULATIONS from all of us.

          I would also like to thank you for your generous offer to send me the greek
          leaflet
          printed by William Cheney. I will gladly accept it. By my turn, I will send
          to you and
          Mary Helen a greek children book written by a 13-years old girl, as a
          sample of
          the first attempts of the greek publishers in this field. You will notice
          that technically
          it is far from the quality of the books printed by your private presses (we
          don't
          have private presses in Greece), but still a good start. It will give an
          'exotic fragrance'
          to Mary Helen's collection.

          Regarding William Cheney's Fleecestreet's Greek in a Nutshell, I feel lucky
          posses it (thanks to Jon Mayo). It is one of my favourites books. I must
          obtain
          also its LATIN brother (perhaps Jon still has it available).

          My regards to Mary Hellen.

          Grigoris Polychronidis
          50, Megalou Alexandrou str
          171 22 Nea Smyrni
          Athens - Greece
          loco@...

          ----------

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
            Does anyone know whether there has ever been a miniature book published in
            Greece?

            Thank You.
          • Paul J. Aarssen
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 25, 2003
              Dear Neale,

              In our collection we have just one miniature book published in Greece:

              TO LEXIKAKI ZOOES (title in greek, something like Book of Life).
              Athens, Dania, 1995. - 175 p. - 47x65 mm. ISBN 960726313-B.
              Red linen with title in gold.

              Regards,
              Paul and Gerda Aarssen