Conclave XXI registrations

  • Paul Devenyi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2003
      Dear friends!

      We are preparing for the Toronto conclave under unusual circumstances. Among other previously existing apprehensions, the SARS hysteria really put Conclave XXI in jeopardy. Fortunately this seems to be behind us, but I don't know how lasting an impact this had on how many people. The power of misinformation is monumental ! I can only say to you what I said before, that there is no risk (and never was a risk) of acquiring SARS on the streets of Toronto! The city is alive and well and safe and as vibrant as ever. As I am writing this, 15,000 librarians are here for the American Library Association meeting. Book people are feisty and don't fall into the trap of mass hysteria! I would hope the same can be said about members of the Miniature Book Society .

      Why am I writing this? Because I have no indication at this moment, whether registrations will be around the customary 100 or 25. If the latter is the case, we can't have a conclave. At this point I have about a dozen of registrations, most of them came very soon after the April Newsletter appeared. These are individuals who obviously wanted to express early their committment and support for the Conclave. The Board never considered cancellation of the Conclave, nonetheless if attendance would be below a certain arbitrarily determined critical level, that is exactly what we would have to do. I am entering the stage where more detailed organizational moves have to be made and I am reluctant to do that without having some rough idea of anticipated attendance. I need to have some indications from most of you if you intend to come to the Conclave.

      So, I am asking you to send in your registration forms soon if you intend to come. If you worry about money, I don't mind if you postdate your cheque to august 31. The hotel registration, of course, doesn't cost you anything.

      Since this E mail group reaches only a fraction of MBS members, I would appreciate if you could spread this message to others whom you know.

      Thanks and best regards:

      Paul Devenyi