Fw: Conclave XXI

  • Paul Devenyi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2003
      From: Paul Devenyi
      To: miniaturbooks@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 9:49 AM
      Subject: Conclave XXI

      Detailed program plans for Conclave XXI are taking shape. I submitted the final program to the MBS Newsletter which is due next month, along with some practical informations about deadlines, transportation, taxes, currency etc. Those of you not MBS members who don't get the Newsletter, can get the same information from the MBS website (www.mbs.org) which I also submitted and will be there as soon as our webmaster puts it in there. I repeat what I said before, for visitors Toronto is safe, you don't get SARS on the streets, hotels, restaurants, stores etc. and you have a much better chance to get blown to pieces in your hometown by terrorists than get sick in Toronto. If you don't have a registration form (which is part of the Newsletter), you can call me for one (416-445-2038). However, you have to become a member of MBS before you can register for the conclave. (the website gives you membership info. and form)

      Those of you ( I suppose most of you) who are book-aficionados, will have an extra treat when attending our Conclave, because we will have strong interactions with the Canadian Book Artists and Bookbinders Guild. (CBBAG). It is an organization in many ways similar to ours and they too celebrate their 20-th birthday. The centerpiece of this is their major juried show "ART OF THE BOOK", which they organize every five years and after Toronto, it travels the country for two years. The 2003 show coincides with our conclave and it will be combined with another book art show by the Quebec Bibliotheque National. The gallery where it is exhibited is very close to the conclave hotel and we will have a private viewing time as part of the Conclave program. Our guest speaker at our banquet will be Reg Beatty, an outstanding book artist-teacher from CBBAG. One of the strength of CBBAG is its internationally renowned bookbinding school. Two miniature book-related workshops will be offered by CBBAG. Pre-conclave (oct 8,9) by Peter Thomas and post-conclave (oct. 17-19) masterclasses by the Tonkins. You can get more info on www.cbbag.ca.

      Greetings to all;

      Paul Devenyi