Conclave XXI

  • Paul Devenyi
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2003
      Please go to the Miniature Book Society's website (www.mbs.org) for the detailed Conclave program. More details and registration information will be in the upcoming and in the April issue of the MBS Newlsetter.

      Paul Devenyi

    • Paul Devenyi
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2003
        Greetings from Toronto!

        Contrary to the international hysteria, we are all well here, the city's life is normal and the risk of getting SARS in the hotels, restaurants, stores, streets etc. of Toronto is zero. Since most of you are literary minded people, it might reassure you to know that after the World Health Organization withdrew its idiotic travel advisory, the American Library Association decided that it will hold its scheduled meeting in Toronto in July. This means 25,000 delegates! (just a bit more than MBS).

        Plans for Conclave XXI are proceeding well, everything is in place. Considering it is only early May, it is encouraging that registrations are already trickling in. Those of you who bring in miniature books for sale, if you declare them, you will have to prepay 7% federal sales tax (the so called GST) at entry and value them accordingly. I suggest that you should have a hand-written list of your books you are declaring. I will send a copy of a letter I received from Canada Customs about this to all who rent a table. This should not pose a major problem to any of you.

        Paul Devenyi

      • Paul Devenyi
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
          Jon Mayo, MBS vice-president and webmaster, kindly has put the updated Conclave program plans and other informations on the MBS website. (www.mbs.org) This will give you a preview before the July Newsletter arrives or if you are not a member, it gives you the necessary information. The question was raised if non-members can register as guests? While MBS does not have strict policy on this, traditionally in the past, guest registrations have been accepted from family members of MBS members. I suggest, if you want to register at the Conclave, take out a membership in the Society.(see website) Guest reservations are accepted for the Sunday night banquet, even for those not fully registered for the conclave. Tables for the Book Fair can be rented only by MBS members registered for the conclave.

          Paul Devenyi

        • Paul Devenyi
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
            Thanks to all of you who responded to my message a few days ago and expressed support for Conclave XXI and indicated your intention to attend. For those fainthearted - who were not comforted by personal reassurances - please take notice that as of today the World Health Organization OFFICIALLY declared that the SARS outbreak in Toronto is over. I suspect that your media are not as eager to report this news as they were when SARS cases occurred.

            I have a delightful surprise announcement to make. Today I received registration from Glen Dawson and his daughter Susan! It is wonderful that after the loss of his beloved wife Mary Helen, Glen is ready to return to the MBS and conclave circuit. Most of you know, of course, that Glen Dawson is an extraordinary bookseller, collector, publisher and scholar of miniature books. And a delightful person as well! Glen's presence will make Conclave XXI special indeed!

            Paul Devenyi