Conclave

  • minibookman
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 21, 2002
      Hello everybody,
      I'd just like to echo the congratulations to the Conclave organising
      Committee. Well done.
      It was great to meet so many friends again, to chat and to see so
      many wonderful books (and to sell so many!!)
      It was also good to meet our new members, all of whom are very
      enthusiastic. I know we all did our bit to welcome them. Lets hope we
      keep up that encouragement and have even more new members next year.

      Once again, thanks to Gabrielle, Mark and Miriam, and to all those
      who worked so hard to make our Conclave so enjoyable.

      Best wishes to all my friends in MBS, Stephen Byrne
    • Paul Devenyi
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 7, 2003
        One month to go to Conclave XXI. What three months ago looked like the possibly first cancelled conclave in MBS 20 years history, is turning out to have respectable attendance numbers. It won't be the biggest conclave ever, nor the smallest. I hope it will be remembered as one of the best. Some old regulars abandoned us, but many of them remained faithful and are back. I am also delighted to welcome several members to their first Conclave.

        The MBS Newsletter gave a nice detailed program and I hope you found it useful. Here I want to give a few updates for those of you who registered and have access to this E mail group.

        Metered taxifares just went up 25% in Toronto! For one
        or two people it may be better to take the shuttle
        bus which brings you to the Royal York. If you take an
        airport limousine (they have a separate line from the
        taxis), you can ask about their flat rate to the Royal
        York.

        Please remember that the Royal York deadline for the
        special meeting rates is september 9. There are several
        hotels with lower rates close to the Royal York. Some
        of you already found them. If you need advise, E mail
        me.

        Unfortunately for Americans, the value of the US dollar
        fell substantially against the Canadian $ in the last few
        months. A US dollar bought 1.50 Can$ in the spring.
        As of today, you will get $ 1.30-1.35 for it. You can
        imagine that this caused a lot of budgeting headaches
        for me, because I have to convert your $US dollar
        registration fees to Canadian dollars. Still, I hope to
        come out of this breaking even at least. As for your
        individual purchasing power, you will still find Canadian
        prices reasonable.

        Margaret Challenger's wokshop turned out to be very
        popular. The way she runs her workshop with a lots
        of hands-on experience, she didn't want mor than 20
        people in a group.At 25, we have closed the
        registration. She then agreed to hold a second work-
        shop from 2.30 to 3.30 Saturday. Those who were put
        on "stand-by", are now in the second workshop. I am
        asking those in the first workshop (ie. whose
        registration was originally accepted), if any of you
        would prefer the second time-slot, please let me know.
        This may allow more even distribution. We don't want
        to do the division unilaterally, because some of you
        may have planned your free afternoon based on the
        original schedule.

        Speaking of the free Saturday afternoon, there are
        lots of possibilities in the hotel's vicinity. In one of the
        Newsletters I told you about theatre matinees. There
        is also the CN tower and if the weather is good, the
        harborfront a few minutes away. For art-lovers,there
        is the Art Gallery of Ontario with a decent permanent
        collection, but better still, on october 11-th opens a
        special exhibit on the sculptures of Degas (better
        known as painter, but supposedly equally good
        sculptor.) The gallery is about 20 minutes walk or 3
        subway stops away on the University Line. A couple
        more stops takes you to the Royal Ontario Museum
        which has great permanent material, plus a special
        exhibit on Art Deco. Across from the ROM is a gem of
        a little museum, the Gardiner Ceramics Museum; at
        that time they will have a special show on old French
        ceramics. All museums are closed on Mondays, as in
        most part of the world.

        There are many shopping possibilities near the hotel.
        Keep in mind that Monday is Thanksgiving day in
        Canada and most stores will be closed, except in
        designated tourist areas, such as the Eaton Centre
        and the stores of Niagara on the Lake for those who
        take the tour. So, don't leave your shopping plans
        for Monday.

        By the way, there is one (yes, ONE!) seat left on the
        bus to Niagara. I'll give it to the first person who asks
        for it and follows it up with a payment of $ 44.00 USD.

        Finally, a small venue and time change - if you keep
        track of such details. The Sunday breakfast will be in
        the Imperial Room (not in the Tudor) and it will start
        at 7.30 (not 8) for the benefit of those exhibitors who
        need more time for setup. The exhibit space is
        adjoining. There is an hour lunch break in the Book
        Fair and you can eat elegantly in the hotel or from
        hot dog vendors across the street or anything
        between.

        This is my last "bulletin" before the Conclave. But I
        am happy to answer individual questions.

        See you in Toronto!

        Paul Devenyi

      • minibookman
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 16, 2003
          Unlike most of you I haven't got home from Conclave yet - I'm
          visiting friends in Alberta - but I just have to say how much I
          thoroughly enjoyed the Conclave, so well organised, so nice to meet
          old friends and make new ones.
          The fact that I sold a few books was far less important to me than
          the friendship I encountered.
          Thanks to every one who put so much into making the Conclave such a
          success.
          Stephen Byrne
        • motherg2001
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 14 4:38 PM
            Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
            be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
            about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
            printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
            from
            others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.
          • Kimberly Byerly
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 14 5:33 PM
              We would love to hear more about your broadside project...

              Kind regards,
              Kim & Scott Byerly
              Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
              be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
              about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
              printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
              from
              others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • AJ
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
                Dear miniature book friends!

                I hope all Conclave attendees got home save and sound. It was a
                pleaseure seeing you all again.
                The Conclave was tremendous, many thanks to Karen Nyman for her
                fantastic job on organizing the event.

                I promised serveral people to send them links, info etc. If you
                have't heard from me yet, please remind me. My memory isn't as good
                as it used to be!

                For those I told about the wonderful TED talk I watched on my flight
                from Amsterdam to Detroit, here is the link.

                Graphic designer Chip Kidd talks about the art of designing book covers.
                http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html

                Best wishes from Germany,
                Angelika