Conclave

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 13 6:08 AM
      Maria G. Pisano will be attending the Conclave this year for the first time.
      She would like to share a room and expenses with another attendee. If anyone
      is interested, please contact her at MGPSTUDIO @ aol.com.

      Thank You.
    • minibookman
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 21, 2002
        Hello everybody,
        I'd just like to echo the congratulations to the Conclave organising
        Committee. Well done.
        It was great to meet so many friends again, to chat and to see so
        many wonderful books (and to sell so many!!)
        It was also good to meet our new members, all of whom are very
        enthusiastic. I know we all did our bit to welcome them. Lets hope we
        keep up that encouragement and have even more new members next year.

        Once again, thanks to Gabrielle, Mark and Miriam, and to all those
        who worked so hard to make our Conclave so enjoyable.

        Best wishes to all my friends in MBS, Stephen Byrne
      • Paul Devenyi
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 7, 2003
          One month to go to Conclave XXI. What three months ago looked like the possibly first cancelled conclave in MBS 20 years history, is turning out to have respectable attendance numbers. It won't be the biggest conclave ever, nor the smallest. I hope it will be remembered as one of the best. Some old regulars abandoned us, but many of them remained faithful and are back. I am also delighted to welcome several members to their first Conclave.

          The MBS Newsletter gave a nice detailed program and I hope you found it useful. Here I want to give a few updates for those of you who registered and have access to this E mail group.

          Metered taxifares just went up 25% in Toronto! For one
          or two people it may be better to take the shuttle
          bus which brings you to the Royal York. If you take an
          airport limousine (they have a separate line from the
          taxis), you can ask about their flat rate to the Royal
          York.

          Please remember that the Royal York deadline for the
          special meeting rates is september 9. There are several
          hotels with lower rates close to the Royal York. Some
          of you already found them. If you need advise, E mail
          me.

          Unfortunately for Americans, the value of the US dollar
          fell substantially against the Canadian $ in the last few
          months. A US dollar bought 1.50 Can$ in the spring.
          As of today, you will get $ 1.30-1.35 for it. You can
          imagine that this caused a lot of budgeting headaches
          for me, because I have to convert your $US dollar
          registration fees to Canadian dollars. Still, I hope to
          come out of this breaking even at least. As for your
          individual purchasing power, you will still find Canadian
          prices reasonable.

          Margaret Challenger's wokshop turned out to be very
          popular. The way she runs her workshop with a lots
          of hands-on experience, she didn't want mor than 20
          people in a group.At 25, we have closed the
          registration. She then agreed to hold a second work-
          shop from 2.30 to 3.30 Saturday. Those who were put
          on "stand-by", are now in the second workshop. I am
          asking those in the first workshop (ie. whose
          registration was originally accepted), if any of you
          would prefer the second time-slot, please let me know.
          This may allow more even distribution. We don't want
          to do the division unilaterally, because some of you
          may have planned your free afternoon based on the
          original schedule.

          Speaking of the free Saturday afternoon, there are
          lots of possibilities in the hotel's vicinity. In one of the
          Newsletters I told you about theatre matinees. There
          is also the CN tower and if the weather is good, the
          harborfront a few minutes away. For art-lovers,there
          is the Art Gallery of Ontario with a decent permanent
          collection, but better still, on october 11-th opens a
          special exhibit on the sculptures of Degas (better
          known as painter, but supposedly equally good
          sculptor.) The gallery is about 20 minutes walk or 3
          subway stops away on the University Line. A couple
          more stops takes you to the Royal Ontario Museum
          which has great permanent material, plus a special
          exhibit on Art Deco. Across from the ROM is a gem of
          a little museum, the Gardiner Ceramics Museum; at
          that time they will have a special show on old French
          ceramics. All museums are closed on Mondays, as in
          most part of the world.

          There are many shopping possibilities near the hotel.
          Keep in mind that Monday is Thanksgiving day in
          Canada and most stores will be closed, except in
          designated tourist areas, such as the Eaton Centre
          and the stores of Niagara on the Lake for those who
          take the tour. So, don't leave your shopping plans
          for Monday.

          By the way, there is one (yes, ONE!) seat left on the
          bus to Niagara. I'll give it to the first person who asks
          for it and follows it up with a payment of $ 44.00 USD.

          Finally, a small venue and time change - if you keep
          track of such details. The Sunday breakfast will be in
          the Imperial Room (not in the Tudor) and it will start
          at 7.30 (not 8) for the benefit of those exhibitors who
          need more time for setup. The exhibit space is
          adjoining. There is an hour lunch break in the Book
          Fair and you can eat elegantly in the hotel or from
          hot dog vendors across the street or anything
          between.

          This is my last "bulletin" before the Conclave. But I
          am happy to answer individual questions.

          See you in Toronto!

          Paul Devenyi

        • minibookman
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 16, 2003
            Unlike most of you I haven't got home from Conclave yet - I'm
            visiting friends in Alberta - but I just have to say how much I
            thoroughly enjoyed the Conclave, so well organised, so nice to meet
            old friends and make new ones.
            The fact that I sold a few books was far less important to me than
            the friendship I encountered.
            Thanks to every one who put so much into making the Conclave such a
            success.
            Stephen Byrne
          • motherg2001
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 14, 2004
              Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
              be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
              about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
              printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
              from
              others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.
            • Kimberly Byerly
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 14, 2004
                We would love to hear more about your broadside project...

                Kind regards,
                Kim & Scott Byerly
                Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                from
                others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • AJ
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 3, 2012
                  Dear miniature book friends!

                  I hope all Conclave attendees got home save and sound. It was a
                  pleaseure seeing you all again.
                  The Conclave was tremendous, many thanks to Karen Nyman for her
                  fantastic job on organizing the event.

                  I promised serveral people to send them links, info etc. If you
                  have't heard from me yet, please remind me. My memory isn't as good
                  as it used to be!

                  For those I told about the wonderful TED talk I watched on my flight
                  from Amsterdam to Detroit, here is the link.

                  Graphic designer Chip Kidd talks about the art of designing book covers.
                  http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html

                  Best wishes from Germany,
                  Angelika
                • Jill Timm
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 5 12:08 PM
                    Hi All,

                    I am planning to go to the Conclave in Texas only a couple of months away! I would really like to share a room to cut costs. I don't smoke and I am not a wild party girl. Anyone interested?

                    Thanks,

                    jtimm@...

                    Jill Timm
                    Mystical Places Press