Re: Conclave

  • Jan Kellett
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 7, 2001
      Yes, the Lilly Library has my vote in the Library of the Year contest, what a wonderful collection, and beautifully displayed. Thanks guys!
      Jan Kellett

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 13, 2002
        Maria G. Pisano will be attending the Conclave this year for the first time.
        She would like to share a room and expenses with another attendee. If anyone
        is interested, please contact her at MGPSTUDIO @ aol.com.

        Thank You.
      • minibookman
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 21, 2002
          Hello everybody,
          I'd just like to echo the congratulations to the Conclave organising
          Committee. Well done.
          It was great to meet so many friends again, to chat and to see so
          many wonderful books (and to sell so many!!)
          It was also good to meet our new members, all of whom are very
          enthusiastic. I know we all did our bit to welcome them. Lets hope we
          keep up that encouragement and have even more new members next year.

          Once again, thanks to Gabrielle, Mark and Miriam, and to all those
          who worked so hard to make our Conclave so enjoyable.

          Best wishes to all my friends in MBS, Stephen Byrne
        • Paul Devenyi
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 7, 2003
            One month to go to Conclave XXI. What three months ago looked like the possibly first cancelled conclave in MBS 20 years history, is turning out to have respectable attendance numbers. It won't be the biggest conclave ever, nor the smallest. I hope it will be remembered as one of the best. Some old regulars abandoned us, but many of them remained faithful and are back. I am also delighted to welcome several members to their first Conclave.

            The MBS Newsletter gave a nice detailed program and I hope you found it useful. Here I want to give a few updates for those of you who registered and have access to this E mail group.

            Metered taxifares just went up 25% in Toronto! For one
            or two people it may be better to take the shuttle
            bus which brings you to the Royal York. If you take an
            airport limousine (they have a separate line from the
            taxis), you can ask about their flat rate to the Royal
            York.

            Please remember that the Royal York deadline for the
            special meeting rates is september 9. There are several
            hotels with lower rates close to the Royal York. Some
            of you already found them. If you need advise, E mail
            me.

            Unfortunately for Americans, the value of the US dollar
            fell substantially against the Canadian $ in the last few
            months. A US dollar bought 1.50 Can$ in the spring.
            As of today, you will get $ 1.30-1.35 for it. You can
            imagine that this caused a lot of budgeting headaches
            for me, because I have to convert your $US dollar
            registration fees to Canadian dollars. Still, I hope to
            come out of this breaking even at least. As for your
            individual purchasing power, you will still find Canadian
            prices reasonable.

            Margaret Challenger's wokshop turned out to be very
            popular. The way she runs her workshop with a lots
            of hands-on experience, she didn't want mor than 20
            people in a group.At 25, we have closed the
            registration. She then agreed to hold a second work-
            shop from 2.30 to 3.30 Saturday. Those who were put
            on "stand-by", are now in the second workshop. I am
            asking those in the first workshop (ie. whose
            registration was originally accepted), if any of you
            would prefer the second time-slot, please let me know.
            This may allow more even distribution. We don't want
            to do the division unilaterally, because some of you
            may have planned your free afternoon based on the
            original schedule.

            Speaking of the free Saturday afternoon, there are
            lots of possibilities in the hotel's vicinity. In one of the
            Newsletters I told you about theatre matinees. There
            is also the CN tower and if the weather is good, the
            harborfront a few minutes away. For art-lovers,there
            is the Art Gallery of Ontario with a decent permanent
            collection, but better still, on october 11-th opens a
            special exhibit on the sculptures of Degas (better
            known as painter, but supposedly equally good
            sculptor.) The gallery is about 20 minutes walk or 3
            subway stops away on the University Line. A couple
            more stops takes you to the Royal Ontario Museum
            which has great permanent material, plus a special
            exhibit on Art Deco. Across from the ROM is a gem of
            a little museum, the Gardiner Ceramics Museum; at
            that time they will have a special show on old French
            ceramics. All museums are closed on Mondays, as in
            most part of the world.

            There are many shopping possibilities near the hotel.
            Keep in mind that Monday is Thanksgiving day in
            Canada and most stores will be closed, except in
            designated tourist areas, such as the Eaton Centre
            and the stores of Niagara on the Lake for those who
            take the tour. So, don't leave your shopping plans
            for Monday.

            By the way, there is one (yes, ONE!) seat left on the
            bus to Niagara. I'll give it to the first person who asks
            for it and follows it up with a payment of $ 44.00 USD.

            Finally, a small venue and time change - if you keep
            track of such details. The Sunday breakfast will be in
            the Imperial Room (not in the Tudor) and it will start
            at 7.30 (not 8) for the benefit of those exhibitors who
            need more time for setup. The exhibit space is
            adjoining. There is an hour lunch break in the Book
            Fair and you can eat elegantly in the hotel or from
            hot dog vendors across the street or anything
            between.

            This is my last "bulletin" before the Conclave. But I
            am happy to answer individual questions.

            See you in Toronto!

            Paul Devenyi

          • minibookman
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 16, 2003
              Unlike most of you I haven't got home from Conclave yet - I'm
              visiting friends in Alberta - but I just have to say how much I
              thoroughly enjoyed the Conclave, so well organised, so nice to meet
              old friends and make new ones.
              The fact that I sold a few books was far less important to me than
              the friendship I encountered.
              Thanks to every one who put so much into making the Conclave such a
              success.
              Stephen Byrne
            • motherg2001
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 14, 2004
                Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                from
                others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.
              • Kimberly Byerly
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 14, 2004
                  We would love to hear more about your broadside project...

                  Kind regards,
                  Kim & Scott Byerly
                  Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                  be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                  about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                  printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                  from
                  others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • AJ
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
                    Dear miniature book friends!

                    I hope all Conclave attendees got home save and sound. It was a
                    pleaseure seeing you all again.
                    The Conclave was tremendous, many thanks to Karen Nyman for her
                    fantastic job on organizing the event.

                    I promised serveral people to send them links, info etc. If you
                    have't heard from me yet, please remind me. My memory isn't as good
                    as it used to be!

                    For those I told about the wonderful TED talk I watched on my flight
                    from Amsterdam to Detroit, here is the link.

                    Graphic designer Chip Kidd talks about the art of designing book covers.
                    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html

                    Best wishes from Germany,
                    Angelika