Miniature books from the Alembic Press

  • AlembicPrs@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2001
      Being a computer illiterate, I have lost the address of the group, but hope
      this is the correct one, and not too much Yahoo advertising comes with it. I
      must remind myself how to turn it off.

      People have been asking about miniature books, so I have put a page on-line
      that shows our current range. Go to <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/alembooks/minlist.htm">
      http://members.aol.com/alembooks/minlist.htm</A> to see them.

      I apologise for the quality of the images, my webcam is cheap and cheerful,
      but does not give great resolution, and also the light levels are pretty poor
      in this room. Must get down to taking some better pics one of these days,
      using a proper camera, and a higher resolution scanner.....

      What I have tried to show is that we often vary the structure of our books,
      for example using concertina folds,etc, which allow the book to be miniature
      format, but expand to allow easier reading of the text or images!

      David Bolton
      The Alembic Press, Oxford, UK
      http://members.aol.com/alembicprs/

    • AlembicPrs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2002
        I have just updated our brief list of books plus pics, at
        http://members.aol.com/alembooks/minlist.htm

        As before, the pics are with my cheap and cheerful webcam, which I have not
        yet mastered. The focus is manual, but fiddly as one has to rush between
        camera (on window sill to get the light) and pc. The light levels are poor,
        there does not seem to be a way of adjusting the camera for this. Too much
        light and just get glare, too little and it is all dark. Also, white pages
        can come out blue, etc. There is a small menu that implies a brightness
        control, but the program crashes when I try it!! But the pics give a vague
        idea.

        Now I must get back to printing a miniature specimen book of 6 point
        typefaces and borders, just to prove to myself that casting and setting 6pt
        is a doddle. Done a page of Old Style, Baskerville, Plantin so far, and about
        to print Imprint, and then keyboard and cast Gill, Greek and Grot, by the end
        of this month.