Conclave

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 13 6:02 AM
      Its almost time for us to meet in Indianapolis.

      I wonder how many members of this group are going?

      Mike and Jean Garbett are coming to stay with us in NYC for a few days before we
      get to the Conclave.

      Thank You.
    • ThomasPETERX@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 19 8:38 PM
        Yes! I am coming to the Conclave in Indiana. I look forward to seeing many of
        you there.
        Donna Thomas
      • Jan Kellett
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 7, 2001
          Yes, the Lilly Library has my vote in the Library of the Year contest, what a wonderful collection, and beautifully displayed. Thanks guys!
          Jan Kellett

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 13, 2002
            Maria G. Pisano will be attending the Conclave this year for the first time.
            She would like to share a room and expenses with another attendee. If anyone
            is interested, please contact her at MGPSTUDIO @ aol.com.

            Thank You.
          • minibookman
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 21, 2002
              Hello everybody,
              I'd just like to echo the congratulations to the Conclave organising
              Committee. Well done.
              It was great to meet so many friends again, to chat and to see so
              many wonderful books (and to sell so many!!)
              It was also good to meet our new members, all of whom are very
              enthusiastic. I know we all did our bit to welcome them. Lets hope we
              keep up that encouragement and have even more new members next year.

              Once again, thanks to Gabrielle, Mark and Miriam, and to all those
              who worked so hard to make our Conclave so enjoyable.

              Best wishes to all my friends in MBS, Stephen Byrne
            • Paul Devenyi
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 7, 2003
                One month to go to Conclave XXI. What three months ago looked like the possibly first cancelled conclave in MBS 20 years history, is turning out to have respectable attendance numbers. It won't be the biggest conclave ever, nor the smallest. I hope it will be remembered as one of the best. Some old regulars abandoned us, but many of them remained faithful and are back. I am also delighted to welcome several members to their first Conclave.

                The MBS Newsletter gave a nice detailed program and I hope you found it useful. Here I want to give a few updates for those of you who registered and have access to this E mail group.

                Metered taxifares just went up 25% in Toronto! For one
                or two people it may be better to take the shuttle
                bus which brings you to the Royal York. If you take an
                airport limousine (they have a separate line from the
                taxis), you can ask about their flat rate to the Royal
                York.

                Please remember that the Royal York deadline for the
                special meeting rates is september 9. There are several
                hotels with lower rates close to the Royal York. Some
                of you already found them. If you need advise, E mail
                me.

                Unfortunately for Americans, the value of the US dollar
                fell substantially against the Canadian $ in the last few
                months. A US dollar bought 1.50 Can$ in the spring.
                As of today, you will get $ 1.30-1.35 for it. You can
                imagine that this caused a lot of budgeting headaches
                for me, because I have to convert your $US dollar
                registration fees to Canadian dollars. Still, I hope to
                come out of this breaking even at least. As for your
                individual purchasing power, you will still find Canadian
                prices reasonable.

                Margaret Challenger's wokshop turned out to be very
                popular. The way she runs her workshop with a lots
                of hands-on experience, she didn't want mor than 20
                people in a group.At 25, we have closed the
                registration. She then agreed to hold a second work-
                shop from 2.30 to 3.30 Saturday. Those who were put
                on "stand-by", are now in the second workshop. I am
                asking those in the first workshop (ie. whose
                registration was originally accepted), if any of you
                would prefer the second time-slot, please let me know.
                This may allow more even distribution. We don't want
                to do the division unilaterally, because some of you
                may have planned your free afternoon based on the
                original schedule.

                Speaking of the free Saturday afternoon, there are
                lots of possibilities in the hotel's vicinity. In one of the
                Newsletters I told you about theatre matinees. There
                is also the CN tower and if the weather is good, the
                harborfront a few minutes away. For art-lovers,there
                is the Art Gallery of Ontario with a decent permanent
                collection, but better still, on october 11-th opens a
                special exhibit on the sculptures of Degas (better
                known as painter, but supposedly equally good
                sculptor.) The gallery is about 20 minutes walk or 3
                subway stops away on the University Line. A couple
                more stops takes you to the Royal Ontario Museum
                which has great permanent material, plus a special
                exhibit on Art Deco. Across from the ROM is a gem of
                a little museum, the Gardiner Ceramics Museum; at
                that time they will have a special show on old French
                ceramics. All museums are closed on Mondays, as in
                most part of the world.

                There are many shopping possibilities near the hotel.
                Keep in mind that Monday is Thanksgiving day in
                Canada and most stores will be closed, except in
                designated tourist areas, such as the Eaton Centre
                and the stores of Niagara on the Lake for those who
                take the tour. So, don't leave your shopping plans
                for Monday.

                By the way, there is one (yes, ONE!) seat left on the
                bus to Niagara. I'll give it to the first person who asks
                for it and follows it up with a payment of $ 44.00 USD.

                Finally, a small venue and time change - if you keep
                track of such details. The Sunday breakfast will be in
                the Imperial Room (not in the Tudor) and it will start
                at 7.30 (not 8) for the benefit of those exhibitors who
                need more time for setup. The exhibit space is
                adjoining. There is an hour lunch break in the Book
                Fair and you can eat elegantly in the hotel or from
                hot dog vendors across the street or anything
                between.

                This is my last "bulletin" before the Conclave. But I
                am happy to answer individual questions.

                See you in Toronto!

                Paul Devenyi

              • minibookman
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 16, 2003
                  Unlike most of you I haven't got home from Conclave yet - I'm
                  visiting friends in Alberta - but I just have to say how much I
                  thoroughly enjoyed the Conclave, so well organised, so nice to meet
                  old friends and make new ones.
                  The fact that I sold a few books was far less important to me than
                  the friendship I encountered.
                  Thanks to every one who put so much into making the Conclave such a
                  success.
                  Stephen Byrne
                • motherg2001
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 14, 2004
                    Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                    be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                    about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                    printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                    from
                    others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.
                  • Kimberly Byerly
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 14, 2004
                      We would love to hear more about your broadside project...

                      Kind regards,
                      Kim & Scott Byerly
                      Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                      be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                      about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                      printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                      from
                      others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • AJ
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
                        Dear miniature book friends!

                        I hope all Conclave attendees got home save and sound. It was a
                        pleaseure seeing you all again.
                        The Conclave was tremendous, many thanks to Karen Nyman for her
                        fantastic job on organizing the event.

                        I promised serveral people to send them links, info etc. If you
                        have't heard from me yet, please remind me. My memory isn't as good
                        as it used to be!

                        For those I told about the wonderful TED talk I watched on my flight
                        from Amsterdam to Detroit, here is the link.

                        Graphic designer Chip Kidd talks about the art of designing book covers.
                        http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html

                        Best wishes from Germany,
                        Angelika