News from Toronto

  • Paul Devenyi
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2001
      Hello Friends, I am just joining the parade to account for our activities. No miniature-book people visited us in Toronto (too bad, all are welcome), nor do we plan to go to any bookfair until Indianapolis on Labor day weekend. But we are still active in the field.

      As VP of MBS I am in frequent communication with Donn re.running the Society's business.

      As collectors, Mary and I always manage to get new acquisitions and to spend more money on minibooks than we should. Lately we got some nice additions from Jon Mayo's and Guus Thurkow's catalog and - through swapping - from Barbara Raheb. It's a bit risky to order books that you have not seen, but if you know your dealer, you probably don't make a mistake 90% of the time.Our expeience with E-Bay has been mixed; the pickings there are usually slim. We got some good and not so good stuff and encountered good and not so good people.

      As publishers under our Beaux Art label, we continue our work.Since Mary added bookbinding to her graphic art activities, our editions have become smaller, because with her painstakingly precise technique(and other obligations), her output is limited. We sold out her award-winner "Graphic Art" and our latest "Books and People". Too bad that half the people who are prominently mentioned in the latter book, have never even seen it. Mary just finished binding our newest book which is about one of our hobbies: contract bridge. This is again an edition of 29, for the first time the entire edition leather-bound(green goatskin) with an inlaid miniature card decorating the front cover. By the way, she is taking two further courses from noted Toronto book artist, Betsy Eldridge: one on tooling of leather, the other on restoration. Every collector probably has some old books that needs restoration - we surely have a number of them.

      That's all folks, from Toronto. We had a miserable cold, snowy winter here and when we went to Florida for 2 weeks in january, we hit the cold spell there too. Otherwise we are fine and looking forward to Indy.

      Paul Devenyi