miniature book collection

  • akallotte@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2001
      I have 110 miniature books that I am trying to get rid of. I have tried
      ebay, dealers, and various helpful private individuals. I cannot seem to
      find interested parties though. I am hoping that someone can either
      direct me toward interested parties or at least help me figure out where
      I'm going wrong.

      I realize that I'm selling to a small, specialized group. I realize that
      I will have to discount my goods because I want to sell them in bulk.
      I've found the retail value of 70% of the books through ABE.com and
      Bibliofind.com. Then, I averaged the rest and I estimate the books
      retail for between $6K and $7K. Where I come from, antiques wholesale
      for 50% of retail, so I tried to sell for less than 50%, then less than
      40% with no luck. This is less than 2/3 of what they cost 20 years ago.
      In fact, no one will make an offer and one dealer wants me to send the
      books at my expense and then make an offer. I really don't understand
      how a market industry could run like this. That's why I need help. I am
      a very motivated seller with seemingly unmotivated buyers. I have no
      idea what the specialized market value of these books are except for what
      I found on Bibliofind and ABE, but a 60% discount still didn't help.
      I'll discount them more if that's all the market will bear, but I'm
      afraid of being taken in a market I know little about.

      So, I'll send a list of the books to anyone who requests. Please give me
      any ideas that you can about how to sell them, who to approach, and what
      price to ask. Thank you for the continued help.
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.