Rubaiyat & Virus

  • Jan Kellett
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2000
      Hi Angelika,

      I too received the virus message, but being inexperienced didn't open
      the attachment, as I didn't know it was one! They actually sent me 3 of
      the same, but of course after I read your message, just deleted them
      without opening them, so hope no harm done.

      Re the Omar Khayyam, it was very popular around 1880-1900 in Britain,
      and at that time, they also published quite a few books, eg. Scott's
      novels, poetry etc in miniature format. I suppose that labour was still
      relatively cheap at that time. You will probably have noticed that most
      of the miniature Shakespeares were published then, and people had little
      book cases for them. Many of them had limp suede bindings in bright
      colours. Unfortunately the fashion died out by around 1915 - I suppose
      it had something to do with the war, and very few miniatures are printed
      by publishing houses these days in the U.K.

      Re: the auction houses, we in U.K. were notified by the autioneers about
      the Winterstein auction, but did not receive any information about the
      others. Perhaps we should advise them of our existence, I'm not sure
      which house auctioned the Winterstein collection, Bonhams and Philips
      also do book auctions as well as Sothebys and Christies. There is also
      one called Dominic Winter Book Auctions.

      Jan