Re: [miniaturebooks] Auctions

  • Angelika Jaeck
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27, 2000
      Hi miniature book friends!

      I wondered why no one on this list mentioned the auction. I only
      stumbled on it by chance. Since the collection was not sold, the
      wrong people must have been at the auction. 30,000 $ is a lot of
      money for the lot, but then, about 27 $ per book isn't so bad.

      The Book of Hours that was in the London auction was sold for 5
      times the estimate bid (14.688 sterling pounds).
      At the Winterstein auction another Book of Hours from the same
      period was sold for 43.300,- sterling pounds. What a difference!

      I was at a rare book fair in Berlin a few weeks ago. They had
      only a few miniature books, most of them out of my price range.
      Strangely enough, the most expensive ones (about 1,500 DM) were
      the ones sold first.
      I bought "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam" published by Rosen,
      Venice in 1906. It's a nice little book, but quite worn. Well,
      what do you expect after nearly 100 years!
      Can somebody tell me why Rubaiyat is so popular with miniature
      book publishers? I counted at least 23 of them in Bradbury book.
      And I think some others have been published in Europe, too.

      Angelika
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 28, 2000
        I wonder what will happen to the collection now that it didnt sell? Is anyone
        interested in putting together a private collective bid for it?

        Thank You.
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2000