Auctions

  • Angelika Jaeck
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2000
      Hi, folks,

      have you heard about two upcoming miniature book auctions?

      Both found on the Christies site (just type in miniature book in
      lot search).
      - On Nov. 8 the MINIATURE BOOK LIBRARY of Bela Blau, containing
      approximately 1,100 volumes is auctioned in Los Angelos, estimate
      is 30,000 - 50,000 U.S. dollars for the lot.

      on Nov. 17, in London, South Kensington a MINIATURE BOOK OF
      HOURS, use of Rome, in Latin, illuminated manuscript on vellum
      [Bruges, circa 1470s]. 75 x 55mm is on auction for an estimate of
      2,000 - 3,000 British pounds. There is a nice photo on Christies
      web site.

      Angelika Jaeck
    • Donn Sanford
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27, 2000
        How could Christies, one of the world's major auction houses, auction Bela's books (or any other major collection) and not notify every miniature book collector (especially MBS members) so as to assure maximum interest?  It's beyond me that they would overlook such an obvious source of potential bidders.  Do they perhaps prefer to sell principally to book-sellers?

        Donn

        At 12:00 AM 11/6/00 +0100, Angelika Jaeck wrote:
        Hi, folks,

        have you heard about two upcoming miniature book auctions?

        Both found on the Christies site (just type in miniature book in
        lot search).
        - On Nov. 8  the MINIATURE BOOK LIBRARY of Bela Blau, containing
        approximately 1,100 volumes is auctioned in Los Angelos, estimate
        is     30,000 - 50,000 U.S. dollars for the lot.

        on Nov. 17, in London, South  Kensington a MINIATURE BOOK OF
        HOURS, use of Rome, in Latin, illuminated manuscript on vellum
        [Bruges, circa 1470s]. 75 x 55mm is on auction for an estimate of
        2,000 - 3,000 British pounds. There is a nice photo on Christies
        web site.

        Angelika Jaeck

        http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/5/_/802456/_/973465405/

      • Angelika Jaeck
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 27, 2000
          Hi miniature book friends!

          I wondered why no one on this list mentioned the auction. I only
          stumbled on it by chance. Since the collection was not sold, the
          wrong people must have been at the auction. 30,000 $ is a lot of
          money for the lot, but then, about 27 $ per book isn't so bad.

          The Book of Hours that was in the London auction was sold for 5
          times the estimate bid (14.688 sterling pounds).
          At the Winterstein auction another Book of Hours from the same
          period was sold for 43.300,- sterling pounds. What a difference!

          I was at a rare book fair in Berlin a few weeks ago. They had
          only a few miniature books, most of them out of my price range.
          Strangely enough, the most expensive ones (about 1,500 DM) were
          the ones sold first.
          I bought "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam" published by Rosen,
          Venice in 1906. It's a nice little book, but quite worn. Well,
          what do you expect after nearly 100 years!
          Can somebody tell me why Rubaiyat is so popular with miniature
          book publishers? I counted at least 23 of them in Bradbury book.
          And I think some others have been published in Europe, too.

          Angelika
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 28, 2000
            I wonder what will happen to the collection now that it didnt sell? Is anyone
            interested in putting together a private collective bid for it?

            Thank You.
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2000