uncle

  • jandt
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2000
      consider me pointed.

      being frustrated to tears trying to use the software I have, I'm giving up and planning to purchase yet more software.  thanks to everyone who made suggestions.
      It looks like Pagemaker is what I can reach out for.  I have downloaded the trial version, but the trial version doesn't let you use the book builder add-on.
      so....
      before I shell out the $$  I'm wondering if anyone who has used this program and tell me if it will work for making tiny books, (not just small booklets)

      since I can't try it out first, I'd like to be sure it will do what I need.
      tree

    • tim@lilliput-p.win-uk.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2000
        >It looks like Pagemaker is what I can reach out for. I have downloaded the=
        > trial version, but the trial version doesn't let you use the book builder =
        >add-on.=20=20
        >so....
        >before I shell out the $$ I'm wondering if anyone who has used this progra=
        >m and tell me if it will work for making tiny books, (not just small bookle=
        >ts)

        I'll weigh in again and say that although I don't use the build
        booklets feature to do entire miniature books, I do use Pagemaker.
        If you plan the book and the page order by mocking up a dummy
        book, dismantling it and noting where things go, then you can draw
        up a template in pagemaker (or Quark). If you want to impose pages
        so that some are upside down etc, for printing on one sheet, then
        you can do that too - Pagemaker allows you to rotate text and
        still edit it (the story editor is a bit basic, but allows you to
        edit the text separately and conveniently, even after it has been
        rotated).

        This obviously isn't the automatic process you were after, but if
        the book isn't too long then it's manageable, and you can save it
        as a template for future books. You can thread the text boxes so
        that the text will flow straight into the right order on the right
        pages, from a text file. If the book is small enough and/or short
        enough you may even get the whole layout onto two sides of a
        sheet, which would reduce the confusion. You could even combine
        this approach with the build booklet plugin: set the page size as
        your miniature size; set the text, illustrations and page design
        etc.; build the booklet - this gives you a new file with the page
        ordering done; then set up a separate file with a larger page size
        - the paper size you will print on - with guidelines marked out for
        the page imposition; now copy and paste whole double page spreads
        from the booklet file into the right positions in the imposition
        template, rotating the spreads if necessary. This wouldn't be
        difficult at all, though you would have to do all the planning of
        the imposition yourself - which requires a bit of clear thinking
        and a mockup to check that it all works.

        I can sympathise with your frustration with layout programs in
        general, and would advise that once you have bought your software
        you find a local adult education course and learn properly how to
        use it. You'll probably find courses available in Quark, Pagemaker
        and possibly a cheaper program, if you look around. It's well
        worth the effort and expense - which shouldn't be much unless you
        enrol on a business orientated course, which could be exhorbitant.

        Tim Sheppard tim@...-uk.net
        Lilliput Press - Publisher of fine books in miniature
        England http://www.lilliput.co.uk
        The Storytelling FAQ is hosted here