Re: [miniaturebooks] Miniature Bookcases

  • Donn Sanford
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2000
      The cases you see in the photo were manufactured specifically for miniature books by one of the sons of Bob & Elly Massmann, 478 Glen Street, New Britain, CT  06051  tel: 860/223-5009.  They come in two or three sizes in various woods and finishes.  They sold rather well at the Conclave.

      Donn

      At 09:25 PM 10/18/00 +0000, Lani Kowal wrote:
      Hi all,

      I'm looking for ways in which to house/display my growing miniature
      book collection. There is a picture of miniature bookcases in the
      Sept. 2000 issue of Miniature Book News (No.106, page 5) that looks
      very much like what I have in mind. Can anyone identify the vendor(s)
      for me or point me in the right direction? Any suggestions or
      comments would be much appreciated!

      Cheers,
      Lani

      Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
      Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"
      http://click.egroups.com/1/9816/13/_/802456/_/971904450/

    • tim@lilliput-p.win-uk.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2000
        >I'm looking for ways in which to house/display my growing miniature
        >book collection. There is a picture of miniature bookcases in the
        >Sept. 2000 issue of Miniature Book News (No.106, page 5) that looks
        >very much like what I have in mind. Can anyone identify the vendor(s)
        >for me or point me in the right direction? Any suggestions or
        >comments would be much appreciated!

        I don't get that publication so I don't know what they're like.
        However, I have been searching for three years to find someone
        capable of making the highest quality miniature bookcases for me to
        offer to my customers. Obviously they are to fit my books, which
        are from 1 inch to 1.33 inches tall. With two shelves and ornate
        molding they total 4 inches tall and wide. This may be too small for
        you. However I may be able to persuade him to do something
        completely different to your design. Note that this man is a
        miniaturist, producing true miniatures of full-size period
        bookcases, so they are truly stunning and suit the books. I used to
        have someone doing something similar and it took this long to
        replace her - there were dozens of people producing miniature
        bookcases that didn't bear much scrutiny.

        If you're interested we can talk off-list about the details.
        Naturally it will cost less per item if you (or others) want several
        of the same bookcase. If you want fairly large, heavy cases, then a
        normal cabinet maker could do the job and you could probably find
        a local one that you could commission.

        Hope this helps

        Tim

        Tim Sheppard tim@...-uk.net
        Lilliput Press - Publisher of fine books in miniature
        England http://www.lilliput.co.uk
        The Storytelling FAQ is hosted here