Conclave

  • Angelika Jaeck
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 10 11:20 AM
      Hi,
      just got home today, without luggage again.

      I had a wonderful time at the Conclave, spent a lot of money but
      got some nice miniature treasures in return. The workshops were
      very interesting und inspiring. And I hope the swap meet will
      become a regular part of the Conclave (with a few more people
      participating).

      I feel that only talked with about half the people that were
      there. Well, I will try to meet the others next time!

      My thanks to Jon and his helpers for the wonderful job they did.

      Greetings from Germany,

      Angelika Jaeck
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 13, 2001
        Its almost time for us to meet in Indianapolis.

        I wonder how many members of this group are going?

        Mike and Jean Garbett are coming to stay with us in NYC for a few days before we
        get to the Conclave.

        Thank You.
      • ThomasPETERX@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 19, 2001
          Yes! I am coming to the Conclave in Indiana. I look forward to seeing many of
          you there.
          Donna Thomas
        • Jan Kellett
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 7 11:18 AM
            Yes, the Lilly Library has my vote in the Library of the Year contest, what a wonderful collection, and beautifully displayed. Thanks guys!
            Jan Kellett

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
              Maria G. Pisano will be attending the Conclave this year for the first time.
              She would like to share a room and expenses with another attendee. If anyone
              is interested, please contact her at MGPSTUDIO @ aol.com.

              Thank You.
            • minibookman
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 21, 2002
                Hello everybody,
                I'd just like to echo the congratulations to the Conclave organising
                Committee. Well done.
                It was great to meet so many friends again, to chat and to see so
                many wonderful books (and to sell so many!!)
                It was also good to meet our new members, all of whom are very
                enthusiastic. I know we all did our bit to welcome them. Lets hope we
                keep up that encouragement and have even more new members next year.

                Once again, thanks to Gabrielle, Mark and Miriam, and to all those
                who worked so hard to make our Conclave so enjoyable.

                Best wishes to all my friends in MBS, Stephen Byrne
              • Paul Devenyi
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 7 8:20 AM
                  One month to go to Conclave XXI. What three months ago looked like the possibly first cancelled conclave in MBS 20 years history, is turning out to have respectable attendance numbers. It won't be the biggest conclave ever, nor the smallest. I hope it will be remembered as one of the best. Some old regulars abandoned us, but many of them remained faithful and are back. I am also delighted to welcome several members to their first Conclave.

                  The MBS Newsletter gave a nice detailed program and I hope you found it useful. Here I want to give a few updates for those of you who registered and have access to this E mail group.

                  Metered taxifares just went up 25% in Toronto! For one
                  or two people it may be better to take the shuttle
                  bus which brings you to the Royal York. If you take an
                  airport limousine (they have a separate line from the
                  taxis), you can ask about their flat rate to the Royal
                  York.

                  Please remember that the Royal York deadline for the
                  special meeting rates is september 9. There are several
                  hotels with lower rates close to the Royal York. Some
                  of you already found them. If you need advise, E mail
                  me.

                  Unfortunately for Americans, the value of the US dollar
                  fell substantially against the Canadian $ in the last few
                  months. A US dollar bought 1.50 Can$ in the spring.
                  As of today, you will get $ 1.30-1.35 for it. You can
                  imagine that this caused a lot of budgeting headaches
                  for me, because I have to convert your $US dollar
                  registration fees to Canadian dollars. Still, I hope to
                  come out of this breaking even at least. As for your
                  individual purchasing power, you will still find Canadian
                  prices reasonable.

                  Margaret Challenger's wokshop turned out to be very
                  popular. The way she runs her workshop with a lots
                  of hands-on experience, she didn't want mor than 20
                  people in a group.At 25, we have closed the
                  registration. She then agreed to hold a second work-
                  shop from 2.30 to 3.30 Saturday. Those who were put
                  on "stand-by", are now in the second workshop. I am
                  asking those in the first workshop (ie. whose
                  registration was originally accepted), if any of you
                  would prefer the second time-slot, please let me know.
                  This may allow more even distribution. We don't want
                  to do the division unilaterally, because some of you
                  may have planned your free afternoon based on the
                  original schedule.

                  Speaking of the free Saturday afternoon, there are
                  lots of possibilities in the hotel's vicinity. In one of the
                  Newsletters I told you about theatre matinees. There
                  is also the CN tower and if the weather is good, the
                  harborfront a few minutes away. For art-lovers,there
                  is the Art Gallery of Ontario with a decent permanent
                  collection, but better still, on october 11-th opens a
                  special exhibit on the sculptures of Degas (better
                  known as painter, but supposedly equally good
                  sculptor.) The gallery is about 20 minutes walk or 3
                  subway stops away on the University Line. A couple
                  more stops takes you to the Royal Ontario Museum
                  which has great permanent material, plus a special
                  exhibit on Art Deco. Across from the ROM is a gem of
                  a little museum, the Gardiner Ceramics Museum; at
                  that time they will have a special show on old French
                  ceramics. All museums are closed on Mondays, as in
                  most part of the world.

                  There are many shopping possibilities near the hotel.
                  Keep in mind that Monday is Thanksgiving day in
                  Canada and most stores will be closed, except in
                  designated tourist areas, such as the Eaton Centre
                  and the stores of Niagara on the Lake for those who
                  take the tour. So, don't leave your shopping plans
                  for Monday.

                  By the way, there is one (yes, ONE!) seat left on the
                  bus to Niagara. I'll give it to the first person who asks
                  for it and follows it up with a payment of $ 44.00 USD.

                  Finally, a small venue and time change - if you keep
                  track of such details. The Sunday breakfast will be in
                  the Imperial Room (not in the Tudor) and it will start
                  at 7.30 (not 8) for the benefit of those exhibitors who
                  need more time for setup. The exhibit space is
                  adjoining. There is an hour lunch break in the Book
                  Fair and you can eat elegantly in the hotel or from
                  hot dog vendors across the street or anything
                  between.

                  This is my last "bulletin" before the Conclave. But I
                  am happy to answer individual questions.

                  See you in Toronto!

                  Paul Devenyi

                • minibookman
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 16, 2003
                    Unlike most of you I haven't got home from Conclave yet - I'm
                    visiting friends in Alberta - but I just have to say how much I
                    thoroughly enjoyed the Conclave, so well organised, so nice to meet
                    old friends and make new ones.
                    The fact that I sold a few books was far less important to me than
                    the friendship I encountered.
                    Thanks to every one who put so much into making the Conclave such a
                    success.
                    Stephen Byrne
                  • motherg2001
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 14, 2004
                      Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                      be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                      about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                      printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                      from
                      others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.
                    • Kimberly Byerly
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 14, 2004
                        We would love to hear more about your broadside project...

                        Kind regards,
                        Kim & Scott Byerly
                        Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                        be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                        about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                        printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                        from
                        others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • AJ
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 3 5:49 AM
                          Dear miniature book friends!

                          I hope all Conclave attendees got home save and sound. It was a
                          pleaseure seeing you all again.
                          The Conclave was tremendous, many thanks to Karen Nyman for her
                          fantastic job on organizing the event.

                          I promised serveral people to send them links, info etc. If you
                          have't heard from me yet, please remind me. My memory isn't as good
                          as it used to be!

                          For those I told about the wonderful TED talk I watched on my flight
                          from Amsterdam to Detroit, here is the link.

                          Graphic designer Chip Kidd talks about the art of designing book covers.
                          http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html

                          Best wishes from Germany,
                          Angelika
                        • Jill Timm
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 5, 2016
                            Hi All,

                            I am planning to go to the Conclave in Texas only a couple of months away! I would really like to share a room to cut costs. I don't smoke and I am not a wild party girl. Anyone interested?

                            Thanks,

                            jtimm@...

                            Jill Timm
                            Mystical Places Press