Conclave

  • Angelika Jaeck
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 26, 2000
      Hi everybody,

      I enjoyed the last Conclave in Koblenz so much that I have to
      come to Rutland! I am looking forward to meeting those members I
      met in Koblenz. I read that some of them are coming and it much
      nicer if you already know some people at such a big event. But
      am also looking foward to meeting a lot of new people!
      Jon is so helpful with my preparations and questions!

      If anybody wants a certain german book, let me know and I bring
      it with me (if I can find it!).

      Greeting from Germany,

      Angelika Jaeck
    • Angelika Jaeck
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 10, 2000
        Hi,
        just got home today, without luggage again.

        I had a wonderful time at the Conclave, spent a lot of money but
        got some nice miniature treasures in return. The workshops were
        very interesting und inspiring. And I hope the swap meet will
        become a regular part of the Conclave (with a few more people
        participating).

        I feel that only talked with about half the people that were
        there. Well, I will try to meet the others next time!

        My thanks to Jon and his helpers for the wonderful job they did.

        Greetings from Germany,

        Angelika Jaeck
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 13 6:02 AM
          Its almost time for us to meet in Indianapolis.

          I wonder how many members of this group are going?

          Mike and Jean Garbett are coming to stay with us in NYC for a few days before we
          get to the Conclave.

          Thank You.
        • ThomasPETERX@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 19 8:38 PM
            Yes! I am coming to the Conclave in Indiana. I look forward to seeing many of
            you there.
            Donna Thomas
          • Jan Kellett
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 7, 2001
              Yes, the Lilly Library has my vote in the Library of the Year contest, what a wonderful collection, and beautifully displayed. Thanks guys!
              Jan Kellett

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 13, 2002
                Maria G. Pisano will be attending the Conclave this year for the first time.
                She would like to share a room and expenses with another attendee. If anyone
                is interested, please contact her at MGPSTUDIO @ aol.com.

                Thank You.
              • minibookman
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 21, 2002
                  Hello everybody,
                  I'd just like to echo the congratulations to the Conclave organising
                  Committee. Well done.
                  It was great to meet so many friends again, to chat and to see so
                  many wonderful books (and to sell so many!!)
                  It was also good to meet our new members, all of whom are very
                  enthusiastic. I know we all did our bit to welcome them. Lets hope we
                  keep up that encouragement and have even more new members next year.

                  Once again, thanks to Gabrielle, Mark and Miriam, and to all those
                  who worked so hard to make our Conclave so enjoyable.

                  Best wishes to all my friends in MBS, Stephen Byrne
                • Paul Devenyi
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 7, 2003
                    One month to go to Conclave XXI. What three months ago looked like the possibly first cancelled conclave in MBS 20 years history, is turning out to have respectable attendance numbers. It won't be the biggest conclave ever, nor the smallest. I hope it will be remembered as one of the best. Some old regulars abandoned us, but many of them remained faithful and are back. I am also delighted to welcome several members to their first Conclave.

                    The MBS Newsletter gave a nice detailed program and I hope you found it useful. Here I want to give a few updates for those of you who registered and have access to this E mail group.

                    Metered taxifares just went up 25% in Toronto! For one
                    or two people it may be better to take the shuttle
                    bus which brings you to the Royal York. If you take an
                    airport limousine (they have a separate line from the
                    taxis), you can ask about their flat rate to the Royal
                    York.

                    Please remember that the Royal York deadline for the
                    special meeting rates is september 9. There are several
                    hotels with lower rates close to the Royal York. Some
                    of you already found them. If you need advise, E mail
                    me.

                    Unfortunately for Americans, the value of the US dollar
                    fell substantially against the Canadian $ in the last few
                    months. A US dollar bought 1.50 Can$ in the spring.
                    As of today, you will get $ 1.30-1.35 for it. You can
                    imagine that this caused a lot of budgeting headaches
                    for me, because I have to convert your $US dollar
                    registration fees to Canadian dollars. Still, I hope to
                    come out of this breaking even at least. As for your
                    individual purchasing power, you will still find Canadian
                    prices reasonable.

                    Margaret Challenger's wokshop turned out to be very
                    popular. The way she runs her workshop with a lots
                    of hands-on experience, she didn't want mor than 20
                    people in a group.At 25, we have closed the
                    registration. She then agreed to hold a second work-
                    shop from 2.30 to 3.30 Saturday. Those who were put
                    on "stand-by", are now in the second workshop. I am
                    asking those in the first workshop (ie. whose
                    registration was originally accepted), if any of you
                    would prefer the second time-slot, please let me know.
                    This may allow more even distribution. We don't want
                    to do the division unilaterally, because some of you
                    may have planned your free afternoon based on the
                    original schedule.

                    Speaking of the free Saturday afternoon, there are
                    lots of possibilities in the hotel's vicinity. In one of the
                    Newsletters I told you about theatre matinees. There
                    is also the CN tower and if the weather is good, the
                    harborfront a few minutes away. For art-lovers,there
                    is the Art Gallery of Ontario with a decent permanent
                    collection, but better still, on october 11-th opens a
                    special exhibit on the sculptures of Degas (better
                    known as painter, but supposedly equally good
                    sculptor.) The gallery is about 20 minutes walk or 3
                    subway stops away on the University Line. A couple
                    more stops takes you to the Royal Ontario Museum
                    which has great permanent material, plus a special
                    exhibit on Art Deco. Across from the ROM is a gem of
                    a little museum, the Gardiner Ceramics Museum; at
                    that time they will have a special show on old French
                    ceramics. All museums are closed on Mondays, as in
                    most part of the world.

                    There are many shopping possibilities near the hotel.
                    Keep in mind that Monday is Thanksgiving day in
                    Canada and most stores will be closed, except in
                    designated tourist areas, such as the Eaton Centre
                    and the stores of Niagara on the Lake for those who
                    take the tour. So, don't leave your shopping plans
                    for Monday.

                    By the way, there is one (yes, ONE!) seat left on the
                    bus to Niagara. I'll give it to the first person who asks
                    for it and follows it up with a payment of $ 44.00 USD.

                    Finally, a small venue and time change - if you keep
                    track of such details. The Sunday breakfast will be in
                    the Imperial Room (not in the Tudor) and it will start
                    at 7.30 (not 8) for the benefit of those exhibitors who
                    need more time for setup. The exhibit space is
                    adjoining. There is an hour lunch break in the Book
                    Fair and you can eat elegantly in the hotel or from
                    hot dog vendors across the street or anything
                    between.

                    This is my last "bulletin" before the Conclave. But I
                    am happy to answer individual questions.

                    See you in Toronto!

                    Paul Devenyi

                  • minibookman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 16, 2003
                      Unlike most of you I haven't got home from Conclave yet - I'm
                      visiting friends in Alberta - but I just have to say how much I
                      thoroughly enjoyed the Conclave, so well organised, so nice to meet
                      old friends and make new ones.
                      The fact that I sold a few books was far less important to me than
                      the friendship I encountered.
                      Thanks to every one who put so much into making the Conclave such a
                      success.
                      Stephen Byrne
                    • motherg2001
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 14, 2004
                        Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                        be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                        about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                        printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                        from
                        others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.
                      • Kimberly Byerly
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 14, 2004
                          We would love to hear more about your broadside project...

                          Kind regards,
                          Kim & Scott Byerly
                          Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                          be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                          about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                          printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                          from
                          others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • AJ
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
                            Dear miniature book friends!

                            I hope all Conclave attendees got home save and sound. It was a
                            pleaseure seeing you all again.
                            The Conclave was tremendous, many thanks to Karen Nyman for her
                            fantastic job on organizing the event.

                            I promised serveral people to send them links, info etc. If you
                            have't heard from me yet, please remind me. My memory isn't as good
                            as it used to be!

                            For those I told about the wonderful TED talk I watched on my flight
                            from Amsterdam to Detroit, here is the link.

                            Graphic designer Chip Kidd talks about the art of designing book covers.
                            http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html

                            Best wishes from Germany,
                            Angelika