ARTICLE ON MINI BOOKS & CONCLAVE

  • mudlarks@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2000
      Hello out there!
      What great messages come though at this address when we're prodded into
      it by people such as Paul taking the initiative.
      I hope to be attending the Conclave this year along with Jim and Joan
      Lorson. It's been many years and I know there will be old friends and
      familiar faces I'm anxious to see again as well as new faces and making new
      friends.
      ---And it sounds like Jon is really doing us proud by providing a program
      of non-stop interest to all of us!
      I've just received a copy of a four-page article with several excellent
      color and B&W illustrations of miniature books, the acknowledgement for which
      is attributed to Richard Joseph at Christie's, most possibibly from the Irene
      Winterstein collection. The article itself was written by Mary Chapman for a
      magazine entitled Antique Collecting, published in England. I am advised in
      her accompanying note that the magazine is "available only by subscription
      but it is quite a distinguished-looking journal and probably reaches a good
      many people". It would be interesting to know the exact circulation figure
      and how many, if any, new subscribers for MBS it might shake out.)
      While many mags carry the magazine identification and date at the bottom
      of the page, this one apparently does not. However, she mailed the copy to
      me on July 19th, received today, so I can only presume it is the current
      issue. Mary is an antiquarian book dealer who knows Michael Garbett and Anne
      Bromer so she approaches the subject with some personal interest, though I
      don't know that she herself handles miniature books.
      Mary Chapman has most kindly listed the MBS address at the end of the
      article with the contact: Mark Palkovic, Treasurer. She has really covered
      the history of miniature books from past to present in a professional, well
      researched, and provocative style sure to provoke interest among the
      uninformed who are bibliophiles at heart!! It's very difficult to find
      publications of any sort 'out there in the wide world' that cover enough
      interests in even a general way so as to provide some kind of captive
      audience for the subject of miniature books. So.....when articles such as
      this appear, it's especially gratifying.
      Looking forward to Conclave XVIII and seeing all of you again. With warm
      regards to all. Barbara