Conclave

  • NMA815@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 14 3:54 PM
      Is anyone else getting nervous that its April already and we dont know much
      about the Conclave. Ive got our plane reservations and ive made our hotel
      reservation. I hope that he isnt going to let us down. Oh well, at worst
      well organize our own impromptu Conclave when we get there. Ive decided to
      stay on in Koblenz for a few days after the Conclave and make day trips from
      there. Is anyone else making plans? I wonder if anyone is going on the
      preConclave trip. Id be surprised if he gets enough people to support the
      trip.

      Neale M. Albert
    • Mel Kavin
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 29, 1999
        Hi Everyone

        Since I was going to Germany for the Conclave I decided to visit several
        cities including Prague in the Czech
        Republic. I was going to the Czech Republic primarily to visit my
        friends Jan Sobota and Jarmila Sobotova
        in Loket. Loket is a small town about two hours from Prague, it is
        listed as one of 40 Heritage Reserve
        Towns. They live in a house that was built in the 13th century, where
        they also have their bindery and a
        bookbinding school. In 1984 they moved to Cleveland from Switzerland
        and in 1990 Jan became director
        of the Conservation Laboratory at Bridwell Library of Southern
        Methodist University in Dallas. They
        remained there until they moved back to the Czech Republic in 1996.

        I wrote and told them I was going to the Conclave and would like to
        visit them. They were very interested
        in the Conclave and I sent them information and an application blank.
        They joined the Society and reserved
        a vendor's table. They were working on an edition of miniature books for
        the Millennial: they changed their
        schedule and will have them ready for the Conclave. This will be an
        edition of 100 books to be sold at
        $200.00 each. If you have never seen any of the bindings by either of
        them, you have a treat in store for
        you.

        I received an E-mail message from Jarmila this morning and I was going
        to just tell you what it said but I
        decided to send it just the way I received it so you can feel the
        excitement the message exudes.

        Dear Mel,

        I am Busy and have no time, yet, I have to show off. It is so exciting!
        I won 1st Prize!!!
        In France, V.International Biennial. About 500 binders from all over the
        world have bound the same book:
        Cyrano de Bergerac.
        I won 1st prize in category Book-object. It comes also with 1,000.-Euro
        money. Jan and I were planning to
        go to France for the exhibition in September. Now we will have money to
        travel. I still can't believe it.
        It is so great! I have never expected this.
        I can't concentrate on anything. I have to calm down now,
        Talk to you later.
        Jarmila

        To all of you who haven't registered for the Conclave, just meeting this
        charming and talented couple is
        well worth the trip
      • NMA815@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 22, 1999
          The conclave is over and were back home. Ill write a longer report soon to
          tell everyone on the list about the conclave. But i wanted right away
          publicly to thank Ralf for all of his hard work. He hosted a GREAT conclave
          and we are all very grateful to him.

          neale
        • Stephen Byrne
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 22, 1999
            Yet another endorsement of the thanks to Ralf.
            This was my first Conclave, as I am a newcomer to MBS, and was unsure about what to expect.
            What I experienced surpassed all that I had imagined, and I met some great people who offered me lots of support.
            What a friendly group of people!
            The idea of a European Chapter of the MBS is an excellent one, which I do hope comes to fruition. Thanks to Ian for that suggestion.
            I'm already looking forward to next year's Conclave in Vermont.
            Thanks once again to everybody concerned in organising the Conclave.
            Regards to all fellow MBS members.
            Stephen Byrne.
          • Ralf Quast
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 24, 1999
              Hi everyone,

              thank you for being so kind to me and my work!!!

              Ralf
            • Angelika Jaeck
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 26, 2000
                Hi everybody,

                I enjoyed the last Conclave in Koblenz so much that I have to
                come to Rutland! I am looking forward to meeting those members I
                met in Koblenz. I read that some of them are coming and it much
                nicer if you already know some people at such a big event. But
                am also looking foward to meeting a lot of new people!
                Jon is so helpful with my preparations and questions!

                If anybody wants a certain german book, let me know and I bring
                it with me (if I can find it!).

                Greeting from Germany,

                Angelika Jaeck
              • Angelika Jaeck
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 10, 2000
                  Hi,
                  just got home today, without luggage again.

                  I had a wonderful time at the Conclave, spent a lot of money but
                  got some nice miniature treasures in return. The workshops were
                  very interesting und inspiring. And I hope the swap meet will
                  become a regular part of the Conclave (with a few more people
                  participating).

                  I feel that only talked with about half the people that were
                  there. Well, I will try to meet the others next time!

                  My thanks to Jon and his helpers for the wonderful job they did.

                  Greetings from Germany,

                  Angelika Jaeck
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 13, 2001
                    Its almost time for us to meet in Indianapolis.

                    I wonder how many members of this group are going?

                    Mike and Jean Garbett are coming to stay with us in NYC for a few days before we
                    get to the Conclave.

                    Thank You.
                  • ThomasPETERX@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 19, 2001
                      Yes! I am coming to the Conclave in Indiana. I look forward to seeing many of
                      you there.
                      Donna Thomas
                    • Jan Kellett
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 7, 2001
                        Yes, the Lilly Library has my vote in the Library of the Year contest, what a wonderful collection, and beautifully displayed. Thanks guys!
                        Jan Kellett

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 13, 2002
                          Maria G. Pisano will be attending the Conclave this year for the first time.
                          She would like to share a room and expenses with another attendee. If anyone
                          is interested, please contact her at MGPSTUDIO @ aol.com.

                          Thank You.
                        • minibookman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 21, 2002
                            Hello everybody,
                            I'd just like to echo the congratulations to the Conclave organising
                            Committee. Well done.
                            It was great to meet so many friends again, to chat and to see so
                            many wonderful books (and to sell so many!!)
                            It was also good to meet our new members, all of whom are very
                            enthusiastic. I know we all did our bit to welcome them. Lets hope we
                            keep up that encouragement and have even more new members next year.

                            Once again, thanks to Gabrielle, Mark and Miriam, and to all those
                            who worked so hard to make our Conclave so enjoyable.

                            Best wishes to all my friends in MBS, Stephen Byrne
                          • Paul Devenyi
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 7, 2003
                              One month to go to Conclave XXI. What three months ago looked like the possibly first cancelled conclave in MBS 20 years history, is turning out to have respectable attendance numbers. It won't be the biggest conclave ever, nor the smallest. I hope it will be remembered as one of the best. Some old regulars abandoned us, but many of them remained faithful and are back. I am also delighted to welcome several members to their first Conclave.

                              The MBS Newsletter gave a nice detailed program and I hope you found it useful. Here I want to give a few updates for those of you who registered and have access to this E mail group.

                              Metered taxifares just went up 25% in Toronto! For one
                              or two people it may be better to take the shuttle
                              bus which brings you to the Royal York. If you take an
                              airport limousine (they have a separate line from the
                              taxis), you can ask about their flat rate to the Royal
                              York.

                              Please remember that the Royal York deadline for the
                              special meeting rates is september 9. There are several
                              hotels with lower rates close to the Royal York. Some
                              of you already found them. If you need advise, E mail
                              me.

                              Unfortunately for Americans, the value of the US dollar
                              fell substantially against the Canadian $ in the last few
                              months. A US dollar bought 1.50 Can$ in the spring.
                              As of today, you will get $ 1.30-1.35 for it. You can
                              imagine that this caused a lot of budgeting headaches
                              for me, because I have to convert your $US dollar
                              registration fees to Canadian dollars. Still, I hope to
                              come out of this breaking even at least. As for your
                              individual purchasing power, you will still find Canadian
                              prices reasonable.

                              Margaret Challenger's wokshop turned out to be very
                              popular. The way she runs her workshop with a lots
                              of hands-on experience, she didn't want mor than 20
                              people in a group.At 25, we have closed the
                              registration. She then agreed to hold a second work-
                              shop from 2.30 to 3.30 Saturday. Those who were put
                              on "stand-by", are now in the second workshop. I am
                              asking those in the first workshop (ie. whose
                              registration was originally accepted), if any of you
                              would prefer the second time-slot, please let me know.
                              This may allow more even distribution. We don't want
                              to do the division unilaterally, because some of you
                              may have planned your free afternoon based on the
                              original schedule.

                              Speaking of the free Saturday afternoon, there are
                              lots of possibilities in the hotel's vicinity. In one of the
                              Newsletters I told you about theatre matinees. There
                              is also the CN tower and if the weather is good, the
                              harborfront a few minutes away. For art-lovers,there
                              is the Art Gallery of Ontario with a decent permanent
                              collection, but better still, on october 11-th opens a
                              special exhibit on the sculptures of Degas (better
                              known as painter, but supposedly equally good
                              sculptor.) The gallery is about 20 minutes walk or 3
                              subway stops away on the University Line. A couple
                              more stops takes you to the Royal Ontario Museum
                              which has great permanent material, plus a special
                              exhibit on Art Deco. Across from the ROM is a gem of
                              a little museum, the Gardiner Ceramics Museum; at
                              that time they will have a special show on old French
                              ceramics. All museums are closed on Mondays, as in
                              most part of the world.

                              There are many shopping possibilities near the hotel.
                              Keep in mind that Monday is Thanksgiving day in
                              Canada and most stores will be closed, except in
                              designated tourist areas, such as the Eaton Centre
                              and the stores of Niagara on the Lake for those who
                              take the tour. So, don't leave your shopping plans
                              for Monday.

                              By the way, there is one (yes, ONE!) seat left on the
                              bus to Niagara. I'll give it to the first person who asks
                              for it and follows it up with a payment of $ 44.00 USD.

                              Finally, a small venue and time change - if you keep
                              track of such details. The Sunday breakfast will be in
                              the Imperial Room (not in the Tudor) and it will start
                              at 7.30 (not 8) for the benefit of those exhibitors who
                              need more time for setup. The exhibit space is
                              adjoining. There is an hour lunch break in the Book
                              Fair and you can eat elegantly in the hotel or from
                              hot dog vendors across the street or anything
                              between.

                              This is my last "bulletin" before the Conclave. But I
                              am happy to answer individual questions.

                              See you in Toronto!

                              Paul Devenyi

                            • minibookman
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 16, 2003
                                Unlike most of you I haven't got home from Conclave yet - I'm
                                visiting friends in Alberta - but I just have to say how much I
                                thoroughly enjoyed the Conclave, so well organised, so nice to meet
                                old friends and make new ones.
                                The fact that I sold a few books was far less important to me than
                                the friendship I encountered.
                                Thanks to every one who put so much into making the Conclave such a
                                success.
                                Stephen Byrne
                              • motherg2001
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 14 4:38 PM
                                  Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                                  be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                                  about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                                  printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                                  from
                                  others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.
                                • Kimberly Byerly
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 14 5:33 PM
                                    We would love to hear more about your broadside project...

                                    Kind regards,
                                    Kim & Scott Byerly
                                    Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                                    be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                                    about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                                    printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                                    from
                                    others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  • AJ
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
                                      Dear miniature book friends!

                                      I hope all Conclave attendees got home save and sound. It was a
                                      pleaseure seeing you all again.
                                      The Conclave was tremendous, many thanks to Karen Nyman for her
                                      fantastic job on organizing the event.

                                      I promised serveral people to send them links, info etc. If you
                                      have't heard from me yet, please remind me. My memory isn't as good
                                      as it used to be!

                                      For those I told about the wonderful TED talk I watched on my flight
                                      from Amsterdam to Detroit, here is the link.

                                      Graphic designer Chip Kidd talks about the art of designing book covers.
                                      http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html

                                      Best wishes from Germany,
                                      Angelika