Conservation question

  • jtimm@us.ibm.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2000
      The following is a question sent to me that I can not answer. Hopefully
      someone on this list can. Please reply directly to Kristen at
      kstjohn@...

      I'm the conservator for Special Collections and University Archives at
      Rutgers. We have acquired a gift of a collection of miniature books
      (around 1500) and I'm just not sure how to shelve/house all of them! At
      the moment we have part of the collection here stored in boxes (that are
      fairly shallow) lying flat on their backs and stacked a few high. It's
      very haphazard, but the ones we have were on exhibit and when the
      exhibit was taken down they were put there for short term storage. We
      will be receiving many more in the near future (the rest of the
      collection).

      One thought that has occurred to us would be to store them in larger
      boxes (maybe like the kind that are sold for index cards in Gaylord or
      Metal Edge catalogs) and store them standing up or on their spines board
      to board (like on a regular bookshelf), possibly with card stock
      separating the individual books.

      Any advice or reading recommendations you could offer would be very
      welcome! While I've given much thought to the storage and housing of
      regular sized books, this situation is a little bit mind boggling to me.

      Sincerely,

      Kristen St.John
      Conservator for Special Collections and University Archives
      Rutgers University Libraries
      169 College Ave.
      New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1163
      phone: 732-932-7006