Charity Auction at Sothebys - Tuesday, 28th March,2000

  • migarb@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2000
      We are approached by so many charities these days, that it becomes very easy to develop a defence mechanism that refuses them all. You probably know the story of the Swiss farmer who was cut off from the rest of the village by an avalanche. It took the rescue team to cut a path to his house through the deep snow drifts. When he opened the door they said "We are the Red Cross". "No thanks I've already given" was his quick reply. Now here is an opportunity to give and to get. The 999 Club is a charity, based in S.E.London which works with the most vulernable members of the community. Their fund raisers hit upon the novel idea of sending a leather bound but empty miniature book to a number of distinguished authors, politicians and celebrities, inviting them to contribute anything of their choice - almost all of them took up the challenge with enthusiasm, and the result is a collection of stories, essays, poems and recipes - some of them illustrated and all of them idiosyncratic. The sale is at Sothebys on Tuesday 28th March at 6.30p.m. Please note that this is a rearranged date. At this stage I have no idea how much some of these items will make but nearer the sale I will probably be able to hazard a guess. Remember that each of these books is unique. The list that follows is complete, but I am sure that there will be some mixed grouping, probably making twenty lots in all. If I can help, please give me a call. ANTHONY Evelyn, BAINBRIDGE Beryl,BEEVOR Antony, BERNIERS Louis de, BINCHY Maeve, BIRO Val, BOND Michael, BOSLEY Deborah, BOYD William, BOXER Arabella, BRADBURY Malcolm, CARLUCCIO Antonio, CARTLAND Barbara, COOPER Artemis, COOPER Jilly, DORF Barbara, EGREMONTMax, FANE Julian, FRANCIS Dick, GASCOIGNE Bamber, GENTLEMAN David, GRIGG John, GUINNESS Alec, HARRIS Robert, HASTINGS Selina, HOLMES Richard, HOLROYD Michael, HOWARD Elizabeth Jane, HUME The late Cardinal, HURD Douglas, HUTH Angela, INGRAMS Richard, JAMES P.D., LIVELY Penelope, MAJOR John, MAJOR Norma,MANTEL Hilary, MOTION Andrew, NEWBY Eric, NORWICH John Julius, PARTRIDGE Francis, SPARK Muriel, THATCHER Margaret, TOMALIN Clare, TREVOR William,ZIEGLER Philip.