Making miniature books

  • Joy Bathie
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28 9:14 PM
      Hello fellow miniature book-lovers,

      I’m a bookaholic regardless of a books’ size, but a few months ago I made my first miniature book, with which I was so delighted that I was inspired to try a more complicated book.

      The first book measures 14mm high x 12mm wide x 5mm deep (9/16” x 7/16” x 3/16”) and is called “My Country” which is a very famous poem in Australia by Dorothea Mackellar. Each page (14 including title page and colophon) contains one line of the more well-known second verse. I made 6 copies of this book for my family as a small gift last year.

      The second book is larger, at 1.8cm high x 1.8cm wide x 15mm deep (¾” x ¾” x 5/8”) and again, made for my daughters and grandchildren – to be given to them at Christmas 2013. Its medieval-style cover is embossed faux leather, which I created from layers of lightweight paper – painted and antiqued with shellac - with a black kangaroo leather spine and strap closure. The pages (a total of 98 in the book including title page, colophon etc.), are scanned, reduced, and printed from a larger book I made some time ago, measuring 10cm x 10cm. The painted and gilded pages with medieval/illuminated letters/borders were scanned and reduced to fit the miniature book, with each page having a different quotation printed in Olde English Gothic text.

      I then purchased small hinge-lidded boxes decorated with glittery embellishments, which were not suitable so I removed them, embossed a textured design onto the lids, then rusted and antiqued the boxes to look as though they were lost and buried for centuries. It is padded inside and lined with black velvet, in which the miniature book of quotations sits.

      I later made six more books, each decreasing in size to the smallest, which is 4mm x 4mm x3mm (6/32” high x 6/32” wide x 4/32” deep). The last 3 sizes were too small for text or images as they were a strain on my eyesight!!

      Joy

      Australia