Fwd: letter from Sobotas

  • NMA815@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 1999
      I received this letter from the Sobotas, about their trip, and they gave me
      permission to share it with the group. Neale Albert

      Dear Neale,
      We are finally back from France. It was a nice, interesting trip. We certainly could not complain of being bored. First we went to Saint Jean de Luz. During the drive we had visited a castle, one from hundreds build around Lore River. We came to Saint Jean de Luz on Friday. The ceremony was on Friday. San Sebastian, the Spanish city, was only 50 km. faraway, so we decided to go there, to see Spain. San Sebastian was beautiful, as Saint Jean de Luz was. Jan was only one who swam in the ocean, he doesn���t mind cold like normal people do. Evening, when we started to drive back, our car broke. In the middle of the city, where nobody spoke English. We don���t speak Spanish or French, so it was rather difficult situation. After about two hours, thanks to a few very helpful and nice people we had managed to have our car towed to a nearest service station after all. It was 7:00 P.M. at that time. Service station was closing. We had to leave our car there, with no idea when it will be fixed. Mechanics were nice, but they had refused to get disturbed by telling us anything exact as for the time. It was Friday, after all. They don���t work on Saturdays or Sundays. They would check the car on Monday. Than order the parts from Madrid. Maybe on Wednesday, Thursday, or after one week they will know more. They had taken us to France though, for certain amount (rather big) of money, to which we were thanks full.

      We went to see the exhibition on Saturday. It was overwhelming! So many great bindings! So many ideas. There were about 600 bindings from binders from all over the world. I would not want to be in judges shoes. Many bindings would deserve prize.

      Evening was the ceremony with fantastic food and wine. There were 300 people. I was happy for my prize, of course, but I am sure that many binders hated me, because they felt that they were the ones, who had deserved the prize instead of me or others who received the other prizes. Competition brings many bad feelings. There are more unhappy people that happy ones. There were three first prizes: One for a professional���s binding, one for an amateur���s binding and one for an original book object. I had that for the original book object, although I had not thought my binding to be a book object. Than there were second and third prizes and many prizes given by different cities and organizations. Prize giving ceremony took two hours. We were given wine during that time but no food. The Japanese binder (First professional) and I were called first, so after that I could enjoy good wine. We had a great company of British and Dutch binders, who were good companions, so it was fun and we even had managed not to show how drank we were after two hours of: Majors��� of surrounding cities speeches, the organizers��� speeches, the honored binders��� speeches (here is my speech in full: ���Mercy���), Basks choir singing. We were really hungry when we, finally, could go to get our food. It was self served style, buffets one. Many beautiful looking plates with hundreds of different and exotic stuff on them. I finally understand old Romans. I felt like I had to taste everything and I did my best in that way. (I gained only 3 kilos).

      On Monday, we went to Spain, with a train. Our car was already transfer from San Sebastian to another city. We managed to understand where it was and went after it to that city. Than for two more days, while waiting on the car to be fixed, we took a train to see ocean. It was so windy and cold, that even Jan didn���t swim this time.

      We were in a hotel, where was no Menu. It was interesting to wait at our food, without having slightest idea of what it would be. We even had no idea about prices, except of a hotel. We had tried to ask several times, but they had no idea what we wanted, so they always showed us that dinner is on our room number. We had learned only when we were paying our bill. It was on Wednesday, after only two hours of trying to get our car from a garage. We spent my prize money on the car repairs and hotel.

      We went directly to Paris. After stopping our car in front of the first hotel, the our car���s battery died. Fortunately, a hotel was not full and the price was not outrage. On another hand, the car was not standing exactly on parking spot. It was half on crossing path, on a very busy street. We managed, however, to find gasoline station and we bought a new battery. We couldn���t find parking place anyway, so Jan felt it would be safer to leave our car on that spot without battery. We had dinner in that hotel, watching our car from hotel���s window. Second day, AM, Jan went to put a new battery to the car and he drove away, to find a legal parking place. At 8:30 A.M. he was back. He didn���t find parking place, so he was not parking properly again. We had a breakfast at the hotel and we sew from our window one car, leaving its spot. Jan jumped out from hotel and run to our car while I was ready to defend the free parking spot with my life. We had managed. Than we went to see Paris and to continue with stuffing yourself with great pates, cheese and all goodies which French offer.

      Friday morning, we left Paris and went home. We slept only one night in Germany. We had stopped when our car seemed not to function with all its speeds. Jan thought that a spark-plug is not good. It was late evening already and we decided to wait till morning. We were getting used to fixing the car in all countries where we were driving during our trip. So what was new? Fortunately, morning, the car was OK. Jan had some explanation about this, but I didn���t understand it. We went home and we had actually arrived that evening.

      We spent a lot of money, taken from our house repairing account, but it was worth it. Who needs a roof for the house anyway?

      Have a nice day.

      Jarmila

      <HTML>
      <HEAD>

      <META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-2 http-equiv=Content-Type>
      </HEAD>
      <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
      <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Dear Neale,</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>
      <DIV>
      <P><FONT size=2>We are finally back from France. It was a nice, interesting
[...]
      of money, to which we were thanks full. </FONT></P>
      <P><FONT size=2>We went to see the exhibition on Saturday. It was overwhelming!
      So many great bindings! So many ideas. There were about 600 bindings from
      binders from all over the world. I would not want to be in judges shoes. Many
      bindings would deserve prize.</FONT></P>
      <P><FONT size=2>Evening was the ceremony with fantastic food and wine. There
[...]
      my best in that way. (I gained only 3 kilos).</FONT></P>
      <P><FONT size=2>On Monday, we went to Spain, with a train. Our car was already
      transfer from San Sebastian to another city. We managed to understand where it
      was and went after it to that city. Than for two more days, while waiting on the
      car to be fixed, we took a train to see ocean. It was so windy and cold, that
      even Jan didn’t swim this time. </FONT></P>
      <P><FONT size=2>We were in a hotel, where was no Menu. It was interesting to
      wait at our food, without having slightest idea of what it would be. We even had
      no idea about prices, except of a hotel. We had tried to ask several times, but
      they had no idea what we wanted, so they always showed us that dinner is on our
      room number. We had learned only when we were paying our bill. It was on
      Wednesday, after only two hours of trying to get our car from a garage. We spent
      my prize money on the car repairs and hotel.</FONT></P>
      <P><FONT size=2>We went directly to Paris. After stopping our car in front of
[...]
      which French offer.</FONT></P>
      <P><FONT size=2>Friday morning, we left Paris and went home. We slept only one
      night in Germany. We had stopped when our car seemed not to function with all
      its speeds. Jan thought that a spark-plug is not good. It was late evening
      already and we decided to wait till morning. We were getting used to fixing the
      car in all countries where we were driving during our trip. So what was new?
      Fortunately, morning, the car was OK. Jan had some explanation about this, but I
      didn’t understand it. We went home and we had actually arrived that
      evening. </FONT></P>
      <P><FONT size=2>We spent a lot of money, taken from our house repairing account,
      but it was worth it. Who needs a roof for the house anyway?</FONT></P>
      <P><FONT size=2>Have a nice day.</FONT></P>
      <P><FONT size=2>Jarmila</FONT></P></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>