Mini Bk Conclave -Meanwhile...

  • Randy Asplund
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2012
      Hi everybody!

      I know a lot of you are on your way to the Conclave. I want to mention
      a little book I have been making. I wanted it to be done by now, but
      it takes as long as it takes, so the premier of it will be the
      Kerrytown Bookfest in Ann Arbor, MI on September 9.

      I was talking about making a medieval Bestiary. A Besiary is a book
      about animals and mythological beasts described and then related to
      Christian Theology. Almost every creature described has an
      illustration. They were very popular books in the 12th and 13th
      centuries. Mine is a near facsimile, and its almost done. It is an
      entire authentic Bestiary shrunk down to under 3" high, 206 pages of
      text printed at 1440 dpi. I spent over a week digitally working up all
      of the pages. Then 3-1/2 more days painstakingly painting artificial
      gold onto all of the placed that were gilt n the original (too tiny
      for real gilding). The book is bound in a Romanesque fashion, but in
      my own Romanesque design (hence not being an exact facsimile). The
      binding uses quarter sawn oak boards with the leather sewing supports
      laced through them and pegged. There are Romanesque end tabs of
      chamois lined in yellow silk and 2 color silk wrapped double endbands
      that are real and sewn into the book block and laced & pegged into the
      boards. The brass Romanesque clasps are 100% handmade my me, and there
      is a raised knotwork border band on the front cover that took over two
      days to lace before affixing it to the boards. When finished it will
      have a very fine green leather covering that will be tooled.

      If that's not enough, I plan to make a medieval lectern for it to
      display upon.

      I may do more versions of the book (time or commissions permitting),
      but the binding is a one of a kind art binding. I'll have pictures of
      it when it is finished.

      If you or someone you know might be interested in this piece, please
      feel welcome to call or contact me at the address below. It was not
      done on commission, and I wanted to offer it here to the lovers of
      miniature books first before taking it to the broader market. Price is
      not set yet, but will reflect a couple of weeks of work.

      In the meantime, I hope all who are able to go have a great time at
      the conclave!

      Randy

      Randy Asplund
      Facebook: "Randy Asplund, Artist"
      www.RandyAsplund.com
      Maker of Medieval books and
      Illustrator of Science Fiction & Fantasy
      (734) 663-0954
      2101 S. Circle Dr.
      Ann Arbor, MI 48103 USA