Re:Mark Palkovic & Material question

  • Randy Asplund
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2012
      Hi Stephen,

      Yes! That's where I got it from, at the Ann Arbor Conclave at
      Kerrytown Bookfest. I don't know Mark Palkovic, but Mark, if you are
      reading this, would you please contact me off list at Randy@...
      ?

      I'm still working on the book. Its a monster and taking forever. Right
      now I have a few more colors I am trying to obtain because I want to
      experience making all of the significant colors used by medieval
      manuscript artists. I also need to photograph the process of binding a
      Romanesque book.

      I am currently making a 2.9 inch Romanesque version of the Aberdeen
      Bestiary from England which was originally made in the late 12th
      century and then added to in the 13th. It will have a green leather
      cover over 1/4 sawn oak boards with leather sewing supports weaving
      through the boards. All 206 pages were massively reworked from the
      original shots to make them presentable, and then I very carefully
      went in and painted everything gold that is gold in the original book.
      I'm using this fine leather on the cover so I can make a raised 3-
      dimensional knotwork border. I want to have it done for the Kerrytown
      Bookfest in Ann Arbor September 9. If there is time, I may carve a
      bone or mammoth ivory plaque for the cover, and it will have tiny
      medieval design metal clasps.

      Randy