Friends of Dard Hunter 2010 annual meeting.

  • Peter and Donna Thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2010
      The Friends of Dard Hunter, hand papermakers

      www.friendsofdardhunter.org

      PO Box 2450 � Springfield, IL 62704

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      October 18-24, 2010, the Friends of Dard Hunter, hand papermakers,
      will be at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg, Tenn.,
      for their Annual Meeting.
      We will have three days of classes making paper, books, tools,
      fashion accessories, and molds for paper casting. We will work in
      wood, antler, bone, encaustic, dyes and pigments, and photography.
      These classes will be followed by two days of presentations and
      demonstrations by artists, scientists, and travelers in the field of
      hand papermaking. Our website has all the details.

      The Friends of Dard Hunter is an organization that connects
      and educates hand papermakers worldwide. We welcome everyone, at any
      level of skill or knowledge, for we know learning about paper is a
      lifelong pursuit. We meet annually in October at various locations
      in the United States. In between our conferences we stay in touch
      with a newsletter, we have exhibitions nationally and
      internationally, and we publish a membership directory that helps
      papermakers all over the world stay in touch. We have a website
      (www.friendsofdardhunter.org ), blog (http://dardhunter.blogspot.com),
      Yahoo group and Facebook page (Friends of Dard Hunter, hand
      papermakers).

      Dard Hunter (1881 � 1966) was an intrepid explorer and
      researcher who traveled the world studying how paper was made. His
      writings inspired people in America and beyond, and in 1981 a group
      formed to protect the collection of hand papermaking artifacts Hunter
      had gathered over decades. Eventually this group became the Friends
      of Dard Hunter, Inc., a nonprofit educational organization whose
      purpose is to promote the art and related crafts of hand
      papermaking. Currently, the collection of tools, artifacts, paper
      samples, and Dard Hunter�s writings and books is housed at the Robert
      C. Williams Paper Museum on the Georgia Tech campus in Atlanta, Ga.

      Workshops October 19 - 21

      Randy Arnold Tool Making

      Shannon Brock Pulp Painting-FILLED

      Jim Croft Making Tools from Bone and Antler

      Betsy Dollar Pulp Spraying

      Jon Hook Sculptural Paper - Clay Moulds for Paper Casting

      Yong-sook Kim Using Hanji for Wearable Art

      Susan Kristoferson Itajime Dyeing and Light Prints for Your Handmade
      Paper

      Amy C. LeePard The Photographic Image Narrative

      Catherine Nash Explorations in Encaustic- FILLED

      David Reina Maker a Beater from Available Materials

      Peter Thomas Making Miniature Books

      Presentations October 21 - 23

      Anita Lynn Forgash Keynote Speaker Jacques Brejoux:

      Medieval Stampers: Construction and Use in Pulp Preparation for Hand
      Papermaking

      Tim Barrett Fifteenth Century European Papermaking Materials and
      Techniques

      Chris Harrison Sch�ffer and his Plant Papers

      Kate Martinson Roycroft: Then and Now. Dard Hunter was a Roycrofter

      Scott K. Murphy Papermaking as a Hub in a Liberal Arts Education

      Catherine Nash Beater Finesse: Tips for Paper Artists using the
      Hollander Beater

      Beverly Plummer Choice, Chance and Anarchy: Making Edible Paper with
      John Cage

      Mary Tasillo and Michelle Wilson Book Bombs: Handmade Paper in Public
      Spaces

      Cynthia Thompson & David Charles Chioffi The Perception of Labor:
      Papermaking in the University Setting

      Demonstrations October 21 - 23

      Randy Arnold Building Bookbinding Equipment with Hand Woodworking Tools

      Jim Croft Old Ways Bookbinding and Papermaking Practices

      Betsy Dollar Paper Spraying Techniques

      Judy Funk Paper Casting Techniques

      Lisa Hoesing The Korean Art of Joomchi, or Paper Felting

      John Hook Paper Casting in Bisque Clay Moulds

      Aimee Lee Hanji and its Applications: Korean Papermaking, Paper
      Felting, and Paper Weaving

      Catherine Nash Encaustic for the Book and Paper Artists

      Kelly Nelson & Kerri Cushman Making Polymer Solarplates for a Relief
      or Intaglio Print Matrix

      Kitz Rickert Conservation Techniques (TBA)

      Earle D Swope Arborglyph Castings: Paper Pulp Castings from Silicone
      and Plaster Molds

      Peter Thomas Western Style Papermaking Vatman Techniques

      For more information contact:

      Shannon Brock, VP of Publicity and Outreach

      e-mail: gaptoothed@ earthlink.net

      phone: 718.782.8987

      The Friends of Dard Hunter is an organization that connects
      and educates hand papermakers worldwide. We welcome everyone, at any
      level of skill or knowledge, for we know learning about paper is a
      lifelong pursuit. We meet annually in October at various locations
      in the United States. In between our conferences we stay in touch
      with a newsletter, we have exhibitions nationally and
      internationally, we publish a membership directory, and we have a
      Yahoo group and Facebook page. Our website is: