MBS Miniature metal books from Sibiria

  • arnobernoarno
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2009
      Book artist: Safronov Gennady

      http://www.zyarts.com/zybooks/yana.html

      http://forumbookart.de/index.php?article_id=24&clang=0&rubrik_id=11

      The themes of these books are Russian classic literature : Aleksander Pushkin, Michael Lermontov, Alexis Koltsov. The books contain verses, poems, fables and songs

      These miniature books are made by my father Safronov Gennady. Work occupies all his time, therefore I help my father to represent his books to all interested amateurs of book art. I'm 19 years , I am a student at the economic institute. We live in Siberia, in the city of Chita which is located near Lake Baikal. In 1999 to Gennady Safronov there has come idea of creating all-metal mini-books. My father prepares all the materials himself. After preparing the individual pages and the two cover pages he dyes these with a protecting finish. In a next step he engraves the texts with special tools.

      A chemical liquid is applied to the depressions of the letters. After that he polishes the pages, colors them with gold and on top puts on a varnish. Finally he screws the miniature book together. The colours of the books are gold and copper. He uses verses, fables, poems, songs and prose of great Russian poets and writers. In some rare cases the texts are illustrated. All the tools and the adaptations used for manufacturing these tiny books are also hand made. As his miniature books are purely handcrafted without the help of any bigger machines he makes only one copy of each title. In this way Gennady produces 8 to 10 miniature books a year, each of which contains on the average 34 pages.

      Each of these unique copies is marked with the date and number of its production. Gennady Safronov has been dedicated to this kind of work for 8 years striving to further perfect his technique and to always improve the quality of his small works of art. One of books is in Moscow in the Museum of the poet Vladimir Visotsky.