Online MBS Yearbook ????

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
      I welcome comments from MBS members on an idea.

      Should the annual Yearbook be available ionly online and not in print?

      This would (a) save the cost of printing and distributing it and (b) enable
      the information to be more up to date, as changes could be entered
      instantly.

      And it would save several trees.

      Ut would even be possible to include photographs of members.

      Comments ?

      Neale

      -----------------------------
      IRS Circular 230 disclosure:
      that any
      attachments)
      of (i) avoiding
      recommending

      (212) 373-3341 (Phone) | (212) 492-0341 (Fax)
      www.paulweiss.com

      notify us immediately.
    • Stephen Byrne
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
        Hi everybody,
        Whilst I fully agree with Neale that we would save costs, trees, and have a more easily updateable yearbook etc.
        I do think we need to think very carefully about open access and distribution of the membership list which contains addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses etc. Here in UK there are strict rules and regulations about such data being available.
        This information is open to abuse by unscrupulous villains, and we could find ourselves inundated with even more spam mail if we do not use an effective filter.

        Of course the question arises as to what we do for the members who do not have access to computers or the internet.

        Jim does a sterling job on production of our yearbook, and I am sure that he has it all set up as a database already. Perhaps when we register our membership for the year, we should be able to request an e-version of the yearbook as individuals, members only, and then supply other members with a decent photocopied version.

        It will be interesting to see the reaction of others to this suggestion.
        Good wishes to all fellow MBS members
        Stephen Byrne

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
          I agree with Stephen Byrnes' excellent comments.

          1. We would need to establish a password access system for privacy.

          2. We would need to provide for members who do not have, or want, computer access. We could do this by providing 8 x10 (or smaller) printouts for those members.

          So far the responses I am getting to my email are mostly favorable to the on-line concept.

          Perhaps we could establish a "members only" section on the MBS website, with password protection. The online directory could be in that section . And members could use the private section to communicate with the membership.

          Neale

          -----------------------------
          IRS Circular 230 disclosure:
          To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any
          U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments)
          is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding
          penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending

[...]

        • Peter and Donna Thomas
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
            Online is not yet convenient for me. Maybe some day.

            Peter Thomas
            On Dec 1, 2008, at 5:10 AM, Neale M Albert wrote:

[...]

            contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are
            not the
            intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of
            this
            communication
            notify us immediately.