Conclave

  • Ralf Quast
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 24, 1999
      Hi everyone,

      thank you for being so kind to me and my work!!!

      Ralf
    • Angelika Jaeck
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 26, 2000
        Hi everybody,

        I enjoyed the last Conclave in Koblenz so much that I have to
        come to Rutland! I am looking forward to meeting those members I
        met in Koblenz. I read that some of them are coming and it much
        nicer if you already know some people at such a big event. But
        am also looking foward to meeting a lot of new people!
        Jon is so helpful with my preparations and questions!

        If anybody wants a certain german book, let me know and I bring
        it with me (if I can find it!).

        Greeting from Germany,

        Angelika Jaeck
      • Angelika Jaeck
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 10, 2000
          Hi,
          just got home today, without luggage again.

          I had a wonderful time at the Conclave, spent a lot of money but
          got some nice miniature treasures in return. The workshops were
          very interesting und inspiring. And I hope the swap meet will
          become a regular part of the Conclave (with a few more people
          participating).

          I feel that only talked with about half the people that were
          there. Well, I will try to meet the others next time!

          My thanks to Jon and his helpers for the wonderful job they did.

          Greetings from Germany,

          Angelika Jaeck
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 13, 2001
            Its almost time for us to meet in Indianapolis.

            I wonder how many members of this group are going?

            Mike and Jean Garbett are coming to stay with us in NYC for a few days before we
            get to the Conclave.

            Thank You.
          • ThomasPETERX@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 19, 2001
              Yes! I am coming to the Conclave in Indiana. I look forward to seeing many of
              you there.
              Donna Thomas
            • Jan Kellett
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 7, 2001
                Yes, the Lilly Library has my vote in the Library of the Year contest, what a wonderful collection, and beautifully displayed. Thanks guys!
                Jan Kellett

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 13, 2002
                  Maria G. Pisano will be attending the Conclave this year for the first time.
                  She would like to share a room and expenses with another attendee. If anyone
                  is interested, please contact her at MGPSTUDIO @ aol.com.

                  Thank You.
                • minibookman
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 21, 2002
                    Hello everybody,
                    I'd just like to echo the congratulations to the Conclave organising
                    Committee. Well done.
                    It was great to meet so many friends again, to chat and to see so
                    many wonderful books (and to sell so many!!)
                    It was also good to meet our new members, all of whom are very
                    enthusiastic. I know we all did our bit to welcome them. Lets hope we
                    keep up that encouragement and have even more new members next year.

                    Once again, thanks to Gabrielle, Mark and Miriam, and to all those
                    who worked so hard to make our Conclave so enjoyable.

                    Best wishes to all my friends in MBS, Stephen Byrne
                  • Paul Devenyi
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 7, 2003
                      One month to go to Conclave XXI. What three months ago looked like the possibly first cancelled conclave in MBS 20 years history, is turning out to have respectable attendance numbers. It won't be the biggest conclave ever, nor the smallest. I hope it will be remembered as one of the best. Some old regulars abandoned us, but many of them remained faithful and are back. I am also delighted to welcome several members to their first Conclave.

                      The MBS Newsletter gave a nice detailed program and I hope you found it useful. Here I want to give a few updates for those of you who registered and have access to this E mail group.

                      Metered taxifares just went up 25% in Toronto! For one
                      or two people it may be better to take the shuttle
                      bus which brings you to the Royal York. If you take an
                      airport limousine (they have a separate line from the
                      taxis), you can ask about their flat rate to the Royal
                      York.

                      Please remember that the Royal York deadline for the
                      special meeting rates is september 9. There are several
                      hotels with lower rates close to the Royal York. Some
                      of you already found them. If you need advise, E mail
                      me.

                      Unfortunately for Americans, the value of the US dollar
                      fell substantially against the Canadian $ in the last few
                      months. A US dollar bought 1.50 Can$ in the spring.
                      As of today, you will get $ 1.30-1.35 for it. You can
                      imagine that this caused a lot of budgeting headaches
                      for me, because I have to convert your $US dollar
                      registration fees to Canadian dollars. Still, I hope to
                      come out of this breaking even at least. As for your
                      individual purchasing power, you will still find Canadian
                      prices reasonable.

                      Margaret Challenger's wokshop turned out to be very
                      popular. The way she runs her workshop with a lots
                      of hands-on experience, she didn't want mor than 20
                      people in a group.At 25, we have closed the
                      registration. She then agreed to hold a second work-
                      shop from 2.30 to 3.30 Saturday. Those who were put
                      on "stand-by", are now in the second workshop. I am
                      asking those in the first workshop (ie. whose
                      registration was originally accepted), if any of you
                      would prefer the second time-slot, please let me know.
                      This may allow more even distribution. We don't want
                      to do the division unilaterally, because some of you
                      may have planned your free afternoon based on the
                      original schedule.

                      Speaking of the free Saturday afternoon, there are
                      lots of possibilities in the hotel's vicinity. In one of the
                      Newsletters I told you about theatre matinees. There
                      is also the CN tower and if the weather is good, the
                      harborfront a few minutes away. For art-lovers,there
                      is the Art Gallery of Ontario with a decent permanent
                      collection, but better still, on october 11-th opens a
                      special exhibit on the sculptures of Degas (better
                      known as painter, but supposedly equally good
                      sculptor.) The gallery is about 20 minutes walk or 3
                      subway stops away on the University Line. A couple
                      more stops takes you to the Royal Ontario Museum
                      which has great permanent material, plus a special
                      exhibit on Art Deco. Across from the ROM is a gem of
                      a little museum, the Gardiner Ceramics Museum; at
                      that time they will have a special show on old French
                      ceramics. All museums are closed on Mondays, as in
                      most part of the world.

                      There are many shopping possibilities near the hotel.
                      Keep in mind that Monday is Thanksgiving day in
                      Canada and most stores will be closed, except in
                      designated tourist areas, such as the Eaton Centre
                      and the stores of Niagara on the Lake for those who
                      take the tour. So, don't leave your shopping plans
                      for Monday.

                      By the way, there is one (yes, ONE!) seat left on the
                      bus to Niagara. I'll give it to the first person who asks
                      for it and follows it up with a payment of $ 44.00 USD.

                      Finally, a small venue and time change - if you keep
                      track of such details. The Sunday breakfast will be in
                      the Imperial Room (not in the Tudor) and it will start
                      at 7.30 (not 8) for the benefit of those exhibitors who
                      need more time for setup. The exhibit space is
                      adjoining. There is an hour lunch break in the Book
                      Fair and you can eat elegantly in the hotel or from
                      hot dog vendors across the street or anything
                      between.

                      This is my last "bulletin" before the Conclave. But I
                      am happy to answer individual questions.

                      See you in Toronto!

                      Paul Devenyi

                    • minibookman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 16, 2003
                        Unlike most of you I haven't got home from Conclave yet - I'm
                        visiting friends in Alberta - but I just have to say how much I
                        thoroughly enjoyed the Conclave, so well organised, so nice to meet
                        old friends and make new ones.
                        The fact that I sold a few books was far less important to me than
                        the friendship I encountered.
                        Thanks to every one who put so much into making the Conclave such a
                        success.
                        Stephen Byrne
                      • motherg2001
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 14 4:38 PM
                          Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                          be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                          about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                          printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                          from
                          others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.
                        • Kimberly Byerly
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 14 5:33 PM
                            We would love to hear more about your broadside project...

                            Kind regards,
                            Kim & Scott Byerly
                            Neale...It DOES seem like the Conclave-to-be at Bath is shaping up to
                            be outstanding. We're looking forward to it. Which also reminds me
                            about your project of Miniature Broadsides. Though we've not yet
                            printed ours, I do have a design in mind. Has there been feedback
                            from
                            others who are participating? Phil Morrison--Shoestring Press.

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • AJ
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 3, 2012
                              Dear miniature book friends!

                              I hope all Conclave attendees got home save and sound. It was a
                              pleaseure seeing you all again.
                              The Conclave was tremendous, many thanks to Karen Nyman for her
                              fantastic job on organizing the event.

                              I promised serveral people to send them links, info etc. If you
                              have't heard from me yet, please remind me. My memory isn't as good
                              as it used to be!

                              For those I told about the wonderful TED talk I watched on my flight
                              from Amsterdam to Detroit, here is the link.

                              Graphic designer Chip Kidd talks about the art of designing book covers.
                              http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html

                              Best wishes from Germany,
                              Angelika